a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

PETT (wag bag) toilet

Started by hoddinr, February 03, 2015, 07:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave-in-RI

Sharing some pictures for posterity. I got a Cleanwaste toilet this week and set it up inside my 2010 SunCat. The toilet, when assembled/opened, does not fit under the companionway overhang like a porta potti would (less ideal for guests and little kids), but its pros should far outweigh that. While my cushions aren't installed at the moment, I do believe it would fit assembled in the aft corner of the cushions. In the pictures you'll see that the only way it fits in the cabin without opening up the companionway step is facing forward. I'm 5'11" and wear size 11.5 sneakers, for reference in the pics-- shoes barely fit, and head touches ceiling (though if we're being honest, I wouldn't be sitting up quite so tall if I were using it). It fits in the cockpit much better. For storage, in briefcase form, it fits just about everywhere, including with the battery (though I'd have to re-route the wiring around the mast so the doorway closes). Also, I ordered separately a "bottom cover" for the briefcase, to protect the mesh bag and netting, which comes today and shouldn't add too much width. I suspect that would mean it no longer fit in the anchor locker area, but I'm not planning to keep it there anyways. I've seen some nice cubbies and storage units on this forum added to the walls, but I think I'll buy a MOLLE board or similar "french cleat" type system (not that, but if you're familiar with the latter you're familiar with the former) and hang it there (better than velcro). For now, it'll just live in briefcase form tucked into the back under the overhang, and on the floor for trailering. I haven't bought a "bucket for the bags" yet, but will get some small (3 gal? square?) one with a gamma screw-on seal that will fit somewhere convenient, perhaps in the original porta potti space. All tbd. Anyways, here's the pics... I'll do multiple posts.

Dave-in-RI

More pics... (thankful to https://bulkresizephotos.com/ for letting me do this easily)

I tried putting the toilet facing forward, where the porta potti would go, but it's too wide. Then, when shifting it sideways off the containment rails, the legs started to splay due to the height difference between rear and front, to the point I stood up quickly so they wouldn't break. All 3 legs must be at the same height. Speaking of legs, and using this off the boat camping etc., the lid goes under the back legs to stabilize them on soft ground so you don't sink in (their idea, not mine).

Removing the companionway gains you some space, does have a bit of a height difference, does put the rear legs on the unsupported fiberglass bilge cover (I don't recommend it), and still doesn't get your head out of the hatch; a definite pass on that one.

Dave-in-RI

The toilet won't fit facing aft with enough room for your feet unless you remove the companionway riser/step. This doesn't gain you much except a view. Here's the headroom facing that way, which is the same as if you are facing forward. That's about as tall as I could sit, though again, not how you'd likely be sitting if using.

Dave-in-RI

Not even close to fitting under the companionway for storage. Does fit under the seat cushion storage area, though that gets tricky when lifting the cushions out of the way first.  Reminder: this does not yet have the optional (extra $) "bottom lid" on it, which may or may not add to the thickness of the briefcase.

Dave-in-RI

Tons of room under cockpit seats, including rotated vertically and shoved aside if you just want to have one on board but not take up a central storage place. Reminder: this does not yet have the optional (extra $) "bottom lid" on it, which may or may not add to the thickness of the briefcase.

Dave-in-RI

And lastly, set up in the cockpit area facing aft and forward (tiller in way facing forward if underway; though I don't think I'd want to be underway while using a toilet, ha). Good place to move it for nighttime use, since if trying to use down below while your partner is there, well, that's a whole new level of love I'm not sure I want to reach with my wife!

Dave-in-RI

Here are two links for product videos. There are a lot of negative reviews out there saying the legs are hard to put down-- they're not, you just need to know how to do it. And if you do have arthritis etc, a simple press w/ a screwdriver or set of needlenose would make it instant close.

1) How to use: https://youtu.be/-neafpVx6GA

2) How to close: https://youtu.be/otJJ3RtjAUg

crazycarl

I purchased 100 "wag bags" from an Ebay store some years ago for $50.  Each came with a large bag containing a gelling agent, a smaller zip lock bag for after use, toilet paper, and a wet wipe.  at $.50 a piece, it was much cheaper than buying them from Walmart or a sporting goods/camping outlet.   
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

Quote from: crazycarl on August 15, 2023, 02:46:10 PM
I purchased 100 "wag bags" from an Ebay store some years ago for $50.  Each came with a large bag containing a gelling agent, a smaller zip lock bag for after use, toilet paper, and a wet wipe.  at $.50 a piece, it was much cheaper than buying them from Walmart or a sporting goods/camping outlet.

As did I after Carl made me aware of the opportunity.  I still have over half of them left.  BTW, I use a three gallon bucket with a Gamma Seal lid to store the used " wag bags" on a cruise.  Clean, no odor while on the cruise, and just dump the bucket in the marina dumpster when I return.  So much better than wet portable toilets or even a holding tank in my opinion.