a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cooler in an Eclipse

Started by alsantini, April 28, 2021, 10:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

For the time I have owned my Eclipse (7 years) I have been looking for a decent cooler that would fit under the center shelf.  Decent is defined as fits and not costing more than the boat!  I have been using a flexible sided cooler purchased from WM.  Decent for short time periods but for overnights it would sweat and soak the floor and anything around it.  This week I bought a cooler from Amazon.  It fits, was relatively inexpensive, and is hard sided.  Voila....   Coleman 24 Can Party Stacker.  Thought I would pass along the info, should anyone be in the market for a cooler.  Sail On.  Off The Wind launch day is Monday or Tuesday next week and I will be in a different marina on the Chain of Lakes in Northern Illinois.

Tim Gardner

Al, I have been using the same cooler on my 19, only I place it on the fuel can cover underneath the tiller.  But then, you don't have that space on your Eclipse, tee hee.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

crazycarl

Finding a decent cooler that fits just aft of the compression post in our 19, won't break the bank, and keeps items cold for several days has been futile.  I built a custom cooler using 2" styrofoam and fiber glassed over it.  I put a drain hole in the bottom so when the ice melts it goes directly into the bilge to be pumped out.  It was a early winter project and after completing it, my daughter gave me a soft sided cooler for Christmas that works great.  ::)

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

Quote from: crazycarl on April 28, 2021, 01:24:45 PM
Finding a decent cooler that fits just aft of the compression post in our 19, won't break the bank, and keeps items cold for several days has been futile.  I built a custom cooler using 2" styrofoam and fiber glassed over it.  I put a drain hole in the bottom so when the ice melts it goes directly into the bilge to be pumped out.  It was a early winter project and after completing it, my daughter gave me a soft sided cooler for Christmas that works great.  ::)

I also ended up going the custom route and after a couple of years of use it is one of the best things I did for more comfortable cruising.  No drain though, use cooler shocks exclusively, when back to the dock, empty it and wipe it clean.  It works great.

https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=11502.0

Fastdoc98

Al, that looks like the same cooler that came with my Eclipse.  Nice touch - the previous owner put strips of felt padding on the underside which keeps the beautiful flooring from getting gouged/scuffed.

slode

Looks like that works pretty well.  Anyone looking for a bit more capacity and better ice retention, I replaced the step/storage box on my Eclipse with an OtterBox Venture 25 cooler.  It's plenty strong to step on, easier to move out of the way than the factory step, and holds enough food for a few days.  Sure it's a bit of money, but less than a comparable Yeti.  I got mine on closeout at Best Buy of all places.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

I thought about a step cooler since my Precision 21 had one and I liked it.  But I have put emergency type stuff in the box and like that it is handy for quick recovery.  Horn, whistle, knife, harness, flare gun with cartridges, SPOT, Handheld GPS, all fit easily.  I looked at the OtterBox and it is definitely a great cooler with more room than I have but will see.  I will use it this season and next winter in FL and if it does not do the job will go with a step style.  Sail On,  Al