a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

so let's talk toilets.....

Started by brackish, May 12, 2014, 10:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HideAway

The water jug is for your sink faucet.   I never could get the system to work well.  like yours, our sink/step area is used to store things we need in  a hurry. 

The post earlier about the tri pod wag bag set up is worrisome to me.  I ve heard good things about the wag bags but while the tripod is arrangement stable at rest I would be concerned using it underway with the boat heeling.     
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

BruceW

Gimbals!

Ah, so maybe I'll take the water container out, an see what all will fit in that forward area. If the thing comes out without breaking, I'll perhaps put it in the actual bilge. If it isn't worth anything, well, it doesn't need to be taking up space.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

skip1930

--> "  The post earlier about the tri pod wag bag set up is worrisome to me.  I ve heard good things about the wag bags but while the tripod is arrangement stable at rest I would be concerned using it underway with the boat heeling. "

Well, better learn how to Heave Too while doing your business.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 legs stable? Good enough for the Lunar Landing Modular on the moon.

skip.

zimco

HI BRACKISH,

I WOULD LIKE TO SUGGEST AN IMPROVEMENT OVER THE BAG-IT UNIT YOUR ARE EXPERIMENTING WITH,-- SEPERATE - AND BAG IT.

HERE IS SOME INFO ON COMPOSTING TOILETS USING URINE SEPATION :
MY ARTICLE -- 
SMALL CRAFT ADVISOR 2013 #82
"SEPARATION ANXIETY" PAGE 38
Marine composting heads compared
THE COMPOSTING TOILET INSTALLED IN MY BOAT IS A C-HEAD MARINE COMPOSTING TOILET
http://www.c-head.com/

How does a dry toilet work?
The urine and solid waste are separated at source. The solid waste goes to the back of the dry toilet and the urine is piped to one gallon container. The solid waste is collected in the dry toilet in a container lined with a compostable bag.  A GENEROUS HANDFULL OF PEAT MOSS OR SAWDUST ON THE SOLIDS AFTER EACH USE WILL RESULT IN NO ODORS.  IT ACTUALLY WORKS!

A SMALL PORTABLE URINE SEPARTING TOILET SIMILAR TO THE ONE YOU ARE USING IS THE ECOVITA RESCUE TOILET --

URINE SEPERATING TOILETS ARE AN ELEGANT SOLUTION TO AN AGE OLD INELEGANT PROBLEM.

zimco

Bob23

Very interesting, Zim. I'm gonna dig up the back issue and check it out. Thanks,
Bob23

brackish

Hey Zimco, the experimentation is over, my current cruising profile indicates the best option is the Wag Bag.

I did look at separation and composting heads.  Someone (was it you?) had built a homemade unit to check the process before investing in one of the fairly expensive.commercial units.  I was impressed with the process.  I think it is much better when compared to permanent holding tank and pump out option.  If my cruising profile ever changed to much longer duration cruises or live aboard that is the direction I would go.  But for short cruises and day sailing what I'm doing now is best IMHO.