a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

KELLY-HANSON SAILS

Started by Bob23, February 01, 2010, 01:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtisv

FWIW I replaced my Com-pac original Johnson 150 genoa with a North Sails 110 and had a 60 headsail made for strong conditions.  Details are at http://www.faster-light.net/remote-access/projects_S_S.html.  I should update that web page as its about 6 or 7 years out of date.  I've had the second reef and the 110 for at least 7 years now and the 110 headsail is great.  The furler install has been tweaked a bit and never jams if I don't let is slack completely.  The second reef has seen a lot of use.  I've sailed in 25 gusts to 35 in protected water and if I wasn't just funning around on the water I'd definitely have flown the 60% jib.  At the moment I know the 60% jib fits but haven't sailed with it.  If I did ever get caught out in a near gale or gale, its there.

The headsails were a bit pricey but I think North Sails does a great job designing sails.  I may go for a full batten main or some variety of light air headsail (drifter, nylon genoa, cruising spinaker, not sure).  I don't see all that much very light air but when I do it sure does get slow with nothing bigger than a 110.  Before I go buying sails I want to add a traveller.  I think that will do more for my sailing for less money than a new main or light air headsails.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

bmiller

I called their shop this AM, no answer, left a message telling them I'd like to come by and see their work. No return call. I probably will look elsewhere. If a bid takes over a week and they can't answer a phone or return calls, well............

brackish

I have not ordered sails from Kelly-Hanson, but I did order a Chute Scoop from them on April 4th.  Arrived three days later.  lowest delivered price I could find.  It took less time to get that order than it did to get the quote on the sails.

I did buy sails from JSI, expected before the end of the month.  Many factors in that decision.  When I get time, I'll give a review of what led me in that direction.