Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

KELLY-HANSON SAILS

Started by Bob23, February 01, 2010, 01:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Hey there fellow Compac-ers:
   Does anyone have any experience dealing with Kelly-Hanson Sails? I requested a quote online and promptly recieved back a quote with a base price of $445.00 for a new main and $650.00 for a new genoa for my 1985 23/2 "Koinoina". Plus they'll take 10% off if I order 2 or more sails. These sound like very good prices but I like to do homework before I make any major purchases. I'm wondering if anyone has used or seen these sails? Maybe they will be in Annapolis in the fall. I like good deals just as much as the next guy (maybe more) but on the other hand, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
   Bob23...any feedback appreciated

brackish

Can't help, haven't used them but the prices sound good.  I'm in the market also, (135 and an asymmetrical) and have some questions.  What was the overlap percentage on the genoa?  cloth weight? Is it RF?  If so did it include foam luff and UV cover?  Your 23/II is a bowsprit model?

Craig Weis

Aside from the question: Does Johnson Sails still make sails? And does Johnson Sails sell outright to the public, and not just to boat manufactures?

www.DorsalSailsandCanvas.com
Dorsal LLC,
61 Michigan Street,
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235
Phone: 920-743-4126
Fax: 920-743-4139
E-mail: Charlie@dorsalsailsandcanvas.com

Building on a long history of serving the Great Lakes boating community, DORSAL, LLC (aka Door Sail) is your full service sail loft & canvas shop, capable of computer assisted Sail design & cutting, as well as being fully invested in digital 3D modeling to design and cut custom Biminis, Dodgers, Full Enclosures, Sail & Boat Covers of all sort and even Upholstery work for the cockpit and down below.

Charley does the canvas work for the Palmer Johnson Yachts....very good!
He made his own sail boat pictured on site and her sails.
Has all the 'dope' on the Com-Pac Line in his computer and Celeste has repaired my UV strip on my furlering factory Johnson head sail.

I purchased a Asymmetrical Star-Cut spinnaker from SailEast [loft in Hong Kong~office in South Chicago] at the All Sail Boat Show, Chicago years ago. It's holding up well. Delivery via UPS in five weeks. So I had it for sailing in that spring.
Came with a dousing sock and is shown in the picture below.

Star-cut spinnakers cost a little bit more 'cause they use a bit more throw-a-way material in the cut.
What I had fun with is SailEast lets you color in the design. All I had to do was make a bizzillon copies and buy a box of Carola's for coloring.

Check out our new Totes & Tees!

Check out Charley He has a very nice loft and is great to work with when new 'motovation' for the boat is necessary.

skip.

dawntreader

I replaced main & jib within the past three years.  I got mine at Porpoise Sails (on-line).  I was looking to save some money, (not having it to spend in the first place) and they fixed me up.  They were really great to work with (He loaned me a used main when mine was not going to be ready in time for a trip). 

Be sure to compare cloth weight when pricing so you are not talking apples & oranges.

Good luck
mike

brackish

Bob, I copied this directly from a discussion on the Catalina forum.  Maybe you have already read.  They have a three page, rather recent thread going on over there on the subject of Kelly-Hansen.  I'm not sure if it clears the air or muddies the water but you might be interested in lurking the thread.  The URL:

http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/printthread.php?t=114785

T_Hamer     01-28-2010 09:45 am
Kelly-Hanson Sails

Dear Catalina Owners:

My name is Toby Hamer and I am the Director of National Sales and Marketing for Kelly-Hanson Sails.

I appreciate the lively discussion regarding our line of sails. I have also had the pleasure of speaking with Glenn (Sonnet II) regarding his purchase of new sails for his and Tom's boat.
Please allow me to set the record straight on a few items that have been discussed as I prefer to avoid the spread of rumors that are unfounded or untrue.

1. Our sails are NOT built in China, Taiwan, Vietnam or anywhere else in Asia for that matter. We have full quality control over every sail we build and distribute. We are headquartered in San Diego and our distribution center is located in the Denver, Colorado area. I am based in Denver and personally inspect each lot of sails that are built prior to sale. I have sailed my entire life and worked in manufacturing and distribution throughout my career.

2. Our prices are the lowest in the industry for a few reasons. North, Quantum and Ullman have massive advertising and promotional budgets in addition to sales offices located throughout the world. This is a pretty expensive proposition and the money has to come from somewhere. Simply put, it comes from its customers. We also build in volume. Instead of building one Catalina 25 mainsail at a time, we do a minimum run of ten sails. We save on fabric, hardware and labor costs. Finally, our profit margins are lower than anyone. Instead of making a boatload on each sail, we sell in volume.

3. I saw one post from a sail maker who inferred our sails are built from polyester seconds and leftovers. This is absolutely ridiculous. All of our sails are built with premium, first run Dimension-Polyant polyester and Contender nylon for our spinnakers.

4. The statement "you get what you pay for" is a broad generalization. It is certainly truer today than ever. However, North's cruising sails are built in Sri Lanka. Ullman and Neil Pryde; China. If you were to remove the tack logos from our sails, you would be hard pressed to figure out how they are of any lesser quality. However, compare our sail side by side with a discount loft and the differences are marked.

5. Our company is not new. We have been in the design, construction and distribution of sails for over 20 years. We have changed our business model to adapt to the ever changing industry and decided to add a direct channel approximately six years ago.

6. We stand behind our products. I don't know of another loft that offers a three year warranty on materials and craftsmanship and a best price guaranty; and more importantly, a satisfaction guaranty. Simply put, if you are not satisfied with your sail when it arrives, simply return it for a full refund.

7. We offer two different solutions for headsail UV protection. The least expensive path is a white sacrificial Dacron cover. 80% of the furling jibs and genoas we sell have this. The only downside is the Dacron may need to be replaced prior to the end of the sail's life. A Sunbrella UV cover is sewn on. The material is made specifically to stand up to most climates including harsh UV rays. It is available in just about every color of the rainbow and will generally last the life of the sail. Cupping can occur after a number of years but this will occur with a Dacron UV cover as well. For the average cruiser, there is no noticeable effect on performance.

Glenn and Tom are clearly pleased with our pricing and I have no doubt they will be ecstatic with their new sails. In addition to our huge inventory of in-stock sails, we can also build custom mainsails, headsails and spinnakers to your specifications at a price that can't be beat.

I'd welcome any calls and/or e-mails regarding our product line. When you have a chance, please visit our website at www.kellyhansonsails.com.

Sincerely,

Toby Hamer

nick23

$445 is an incredible deal for a new main.  I got a new partial-batten, loose-foot main, 6 oz cloth with 2 reef points from National Sail Supply last summer for $600 including shipping, which was about the best deal I found.  It's a Rolly Tasker sail - great quality and I'm very happy with it.  It also came with battens and a bag.

http://www.nationalsail.com/

Bob23

Thank you all! All those replies are very helpful and I'll keep y'all posted on whichever course I take. So far, KH is in the lead but I'll do more homework.
Bob23

bmiller

Just so happens I'm looking at a cruising spinnaker. So I sent in a quote request, we'll see. They also carry a chute dousing sock that seems pretty reasonably priced. Since they have an offic here in CO I'm going to go by and take a look. Will give a report if I get there in the next week or so.

Bob23

That would be great, Bill. I'd love to treat "Koinonia" to a new main...she deserves it!
Bob23

bmiller

Still haven't heard back from them. How long did it take for them to respond to you? This is one of my pet peeves, companies that don't reply.

BobK

Eight days for my reply from them.

Bob23

Eight days is a long time for a sales person to reply. Mine was a bit quicker but they originally forgot the price for the main. After an email reply, they got back in a few days...maybe 5 or 6, don't remember.
Bob23

bmiller

Got a reply yesterday afternoon, eight days. The price was the lowest of three I got back but not by a huge difference. The response invited me to go look at a stock spinnaker but they are out of the office till next week. Hopefully they're out sailing.
Anyway it'll be awhile before I can get down there to check it out.

brackish

Any new information on this topic? I sent five inquiries out today on an Asymmetrical and a 135 Genoa and included Kelly Hansen in the group.

North Direct and National Sail Supply (Rolly Tasker) back with quotes within an hour or two.  Still waiting for Air Force (my OEM sails), Kelly-Hansen, and CB Sails, Panama City (Neil Pryde, they are my no shipping option, on the way to a planned tow this may).

newt

I just repaired my Jib and put an extra reef in the main. Compac sails are the epitome of simplicity. I can see how they would be pretty cheap cost wise.