a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Sails

Started by crazycarl, February 20, 2024, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

I've been online and the phone for hours gathering quotes and information for new sails. Some of the lofts spoke as if I knew what they were talking about.  Heck, anyone who has witnessed me at the helm knows I don't know a halyard from a main sheet. Finally I spoke with Precision Sails and the sailsman (pun intended) carefully and slowly explained, over and over, what all my options are.  I plan on placing an order this week, before we leave for the Bahamas.  He said if I do they would arrive in plenty of time for the Florida 120. Chris? I'm still waiting for quotes from a couple of lofts.  It did irk me that most of the lofts disregarded the dimensions and pictures I emailed them and quoted me for stock sails.  Including a hank on jib when I clearly stated a genoa (with dimensions) compliant with a CDI FF1 furler.

The last time I purchased new sails the slugs were too large to fit the mast slot and the headboard and roach on the main extended aft of the backstay.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

TopsailB

I'm very happy with Precision sails. Last year I purchased a main and 135 genoa for my CP27. Two years ago I purchased a main and 150 genoa for my CP23. The quality and fit are exceptional. Yes, they are built in China, but the proof is in performance, which has improved dramatically as documented for the CP27 in light air under What's New, here: http://www.sailboatrichlands.com/

In 20-25kts two weeks ago under the furled genoa (contrary to the opinions of some I got a foam luff) rolled to about a 110, and full main, the boat sailed well on the wind making 6-6.5kts easily. With the prior blown out sails, the CP27 constantly rounded up and required a reefed main to stay on her feet sailing in similar conditions.

Customer service pre- and post-purchase was excellent.
Topsail Beach NC
1989 Com-Pac 27
1986 Com-Pac 23D
1986 Com-Pac 16
1959 Simmons Seaskiff 18

soilgod

I bought new sails from Precision for my ComPac 16.  I provided exact dimensions from my rig, which differed from published dimensions from various sources.  They provided me a loose footed main, 4 battens, that fit perfectly.  I would use them anytime.

crazycarl

I've have received quotes from Precision, National, Canvas & Sails, and there is someone stopping by today to measure for sails. I was cleaning the boat when he called, and I can't remember what company he is with.  Unfortunately in a town of 900 and over 3,000 registered sailboats, we don't have a loft here. There is a sail repair shop, but Inner Banks Sails & Canvas closed up the shop and is only a mobile canvas business now.  I heard they landed a contract with Pacific Seacraft to do all the new and refurbishing work for them and are busy, busy, busy.

Coincidentally, this morning our eldest daughter, who works at a canvas shop in IL, text us a pic of a 2nd place award she won at the Chicago Midwest Fabric Products Association Convention. Not bad considering she's been working there less than 3 years.   

crazycarl

Doug from Evolution Sails came out today and took measurements. I feel good about buying sails from a company that sends someone out to measure. Also, the main sail on our Seidelmann is an Evolution. Another plus, Doug owns a Compac 16! He admits he hasn't sailed it some time, so of course I enlightened him about our forum, CLR, and the get together I'm planning for this fall.  After stating he comes down to Oriental at least twice a month, well now he has no excuse. 

brackish

My last sail purchase was for the 23IV quite a few years ago.  I bought a 130 Genoa for CDIFF2 and an asymmetrical spinnaker from JSI/Nautical Island or whatever they call themselves now, located St Pete.  The Jenny was imported I think but has been good fit and quality. The cool thing was they had cameras in their loft and I actually caught them making my spinnaker. Left the computer on the whole time and watched them every time I passed by. It turned out great, the only complaint being I don't use it very much, thought I would.

crazycarl

Brackish, I have a spinnaker for the Seidelmann, but have never flown it.  I did use one on our Bristol 22,  but not enough to warrant purchasing one for the 19. I could see getting a drifter for light airs, but we rarely have light air here. I just gave the go ahead for a set of sails from Evolution.  The main on our Seidelmann was made by them and I'm happy with it.  Having Doug out yesterday taking all the measurements quenched any concerns I had about proper fit. I'm going with tanbark sails.  Main with 1 deep reef and a furling 150% genoa.  The prices I was getting from all the lofts were within $300 of each other and a bit less than what I was expecting.