Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast height

Started by ChasRN, May 14, 2020, 08:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChasRN

Greetings all.
Does anyone know what the Sun Cat mast height above the water line is? I've searched this site and the greater web but can't seem to find that spec.
Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"

ChasRN

I continued to poke around for more information on the mast height for the Sun Cat. While I was not successful in turning up additional info on the Sun Cat specifically, I did find some measurements of the mast and gaff for its sister boat, the Picnic Cat, here on the CPYOA forum.

As measured by one Picnic Cat owner, the mast height above water is about 17 feet. With the gaff raised to full height, it is 21 feet.

Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"

bruce

I posted the working drawings Dwyer uses for the Sun Cat. Your mast is 18' 4.5" above the hinge. You can confirm that with the mast down, of course.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=11288.0

Edit: When I look at the drawing again, the overall length is 18' 4.5". The cut at 4' 4.5" for the stub leaves a mast height of 14' above the hinge.

If no one has the information handy, it isn't that hard to measure your mast stub to the boot stripe. A level will help transfer the dimensions horizontally to a common vertical reference, a step ladder next to the boat for example. A laser makes it even easier.

On the PC, the boot stripe is about 4" higher than the waterline. You can get a rough idea from checking out photos of Sun Cats what that would be for you. That can vary with trim and gear, and movement of the boat on the water, of course. If it's a bridge you're trying to duck, give it a little extra! ;D
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

ChasRN

Thanks Bruce.

Not sure why my searches did not turn up your informative post - possibly because I didn't use "spar" as a search term.

Great information and thanks again.

Charlie
Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"

Dave-in-RI

I was looking for this information, too, and found this seemingly-factory provided spec sheet on the CPYOA Facebook page. Pasting here for posterity.

bruce

Thanks, Dave.

When Tom Ray worked for GISails he measured the hinge of a SC on the trailer to be 8'3" above the ground. Pretty close.
https://www.gisails.com/boats/compac/suncat/

Tom's similar height for the PC was low, mine was a couple inches higher, enough to have issues with the garage door. Verify if it's critical.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI