a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast Raising

Started by gmerrill, September 28, 2021, 07:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

When ordering my C23 and looking at options the mast raising system was listed.  Gerry says to me" Let me save you some money" You don't need that.  2 men can raise that mast easy.  Anyone out there agree with this or oppose to Gerry's suggestion.
Greg

brackish

Have no opinion on the claim that two men can raise it easily, I never seem to have that second man, so I've never tried.

With regard to the factory system, yes save your money.  When I bought my boat it had that system. The previous owners, two strong women, set it up to use it to lower the mast so I could trailer my purchase home.  With that system and the three of us we managed to mangle the step.  In addition, it consisted of a very long, heavy, steel square tube and another socket tube bolted to the trailer, so added quite a few lbs. to the tow.  It went to the scrap metal dealer, I made my own system, cost about $150, details of its construction are on this site if you're interested.

curtisv

I agree with Brackish on the issue of getting that second person.  I've raised the mast with my 14 year old daughter (who is now in her 30s) but that was a while ago so one strong man, one kid and a 4:1 purchase.  As I get older so do my friends.  Bad back, joint injury, moved out of the area, etc.

Two men it is easy.  One man barely doable (I've tried it - it worked - I don't recommend it at all).

One man and a good mast raising system on the trailer and it should be easy.  I might do my own at some point.  I don't know what Compac offers.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Ken J

I use a tall mast crutch and the trailer wench - better half and I can do fairly easy - only scary part is if it starts to move side to side - working on how to keep it from doing that

gmerrill

Thanks for the input. Best I saw on you tube was a man using jib halyard led forward to pulpit area then back to main halyard winch.  Used the winch to tighten the jib halyard while his young son pushed up on mast to get it started and hold it steady while dad winched it up.