a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast Raising System

Started by brackish, December 04, 2010, 10:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Several people have asked for details of my mast raising system. 

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/79da05ca-f059-4e29-ac0a-ac1a60bd2a2a

David

Brackish,  Small size is not a problem.  I run an old version of XP and in the lower right corner is a place to blow up the size of the page.  I am sure all you computer guys out there with newer computers have something similar to blow up a page, so you can read it.

Nice work.  Looks and reads like an excellent system.

David

Tim Gardner

to increase the size (zoom in) hold down the ctrl button and press the + button to get to the size you want. reverse using the - button.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

thomeng55

I love to idea of this.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Dwyer HINGED mast step?  If someone has already done one of these, itll save me the time of "noodling about it" .

Thanks

Tom

SpeakEasy

This is like gold to me. I made a version of this about three years ago, after seeing and reading about this one (THANKS BRAKISH!) It allows me to single-handedly winterize and then summerize each year. Love it!!

-Speak

have2ride102

I realize this thread is 7 years old but I'd really like to get my hands on this information.

I'm hoping someone still has the original details that Brackish posted to photobucket. If I can get my hands on them I might be able to re-post them using the new photo posting procedure http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=9472.0.

Can anyone help me out?

FYI: In other posts Brackish references an external website as the inspiration for his design. That link does not appear to be active anymore. I think this one might be correct.

https://www.tropicalboating.com/2010/04/the-perfect-solo-mast-raising-system-for-small-sailboats#comments

AislinGirlII

Photobucket strikes again...perhaps Brackish can resurrect the files, but if it helps you I have a link to the system I use. Not nearly as detailed as Brackish's was but may give you some ideas. I still use these exact same pieces, worked good enough that I never went past the prototype phase..

Hopefully this old link will work, I've been told it doesn't always (GoDaddy and WordPress striking again...)

http://www.svemergencyexit.net/AG2/?p=138

brackish

That information was a complete write up that included pictures.  I tried to email it to folks as an attachment but it would never go through.  As I recall it was a file size problem.  So I scanned the thing and put all the individual scanned pages on the CPYOA site via photobucket hosting.  We all know what happened there.  I can try to email the file again or I can copy and mail if you need the whole thing and it still won't email. 

It is very similar to the one that Tom Ray wrote about in Tropical Boating.  The difference is I used square tube rather than round, my base plate was custom to a CP23 in that you could slide it aft on the standard tabernacle and use push pins to lock it to the tab.  Additionally Tom Ray's article talks at length about the crutch.  I found out that the crutch did not have to be but about a foot above the stern rail and that only so the mast would not hit the weather bump on the sliding hatch cover when you install the pivot bolt.  The system will easily lift the mast from a horizontal position.

Used the system just about a week ago to raise the mast on the water.  Easier for me to launch first, move to my slip, then raise the mast.  Too much up and down a ladder when doing it on the trailer.

dbunny23

brackish,

when you click the link for the information, Adobe is asking for a password....   :)

Just more software fun!

george

bruce

I just tried the Acrobat link and it opened for me, no password requested. I was able to download the pdf, 3.2 MB, so too big for posting on the forum (250 KB limit) but it should be emailable. I just emailed it to myself, no problem.

If George, or anyone else, is having issues, send me a PM with your email and I'll forward a copy.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

brackish

Sorry about the problems.  It was originally a word file with embedded pics and I had trouble emailing it.  Then I scanned it and put it on the Photobucket hosting site and posted it here.  Then converted it to a PDF and put it on Adobe and thought I shared it with the world with no restrictions so not sure why it would be asking for a password. 

Take Bruce up on the emailing or I can try that now that it is PDF.  Also, when you get it if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.  It is a very good system for single handed mast raising on either trailer or on the water which is my preference.

I had intended to make a video but each time I've used it I was by myself without a cameraman.  Maybe next time (probably next August) I'll talk my wife into doing that.

Tim Gardner

Here's the file optimized for this site that will automatically download to your computer when clicked.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

brackish

Very nice Tim.  Like the added arrows for clarity.  I guess I'll have to ease the conflict caused by the competition for "Head Honcho South of the Mason Dixon Line" and tell my boys to deal with the Jersey Mafia at your direction.