a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bow Pulpit

Started by rogerschwake, May 31, 2017, 11:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

I have seen and used Ron's Sun Cat's hand rails. Not only are they easy to step over but they offer a very convenient hand hold, Far superior to grab than a life line and much stronger. If one could find a rail from a powerboat that could be easily modified it would be a great addition. Dennis the P.O. of Nomad really did a remarkable job.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rogerschwake

Have looked on the internet and have not found anything that looks like it would work for a bow pulpit for a sun cat. A new pulpit for a Com-Pac 16 is about $200, have no idea if this would work on a Sun-Cat at all. I'll be at the CLR the end of this month and there will be at least one 16 there that I can check out. There just aren't any use boat parts any were close by here in Iowa.

ROGER

Sunapee Sailing

Let me know what consensus is regarding a 16 bow pulpit in a SunCat.
Dreaming of a SunCat
A Horizon Cat would be great too.

rbh1515

Personally I think it is overkill.  I have a Horizon Day Cat, and don't feel like I need any lifelines or rails.  Since you don't have a jib, when do you really ever have to leave the cockpit.  I would worry about tripping over some of that.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Tom L.

In my view it's not overkill!!
Leave the cockpit to add fenders/dock lines maybe land a fish??? Maybe not land a fish.
Docking maneuver, very convenient and safer  to have a handrail to steady yourself when stepping from dock to boat and boat to dock??  The only other hand hold is the shroud.
Anchoring, very convenient and safer to have a pulpit??
Jam at the peak or throat halyard, very convenient to have a hand rail as you move forward??

I don't think most of us com-pacters realize how narrow the side deck is on a Sun Cat. It is very Narrow and easy to slip off. The rail gives your lower leg something to wedge against. Walking on the cabin top is risky with that big old main flailing about. 

When it comes to docking the hand rail is a great deal of help especially after I turned 70. I don't jump to well between boat and dock as I did in the past.

I don't think it would be worth 5K but the reworking of an existing power boat rail is doable. I agree it doesn't fit the character of a Cat Boat but it is too functional to ignore. These Cat Boats don't really resemble a traditional Cat anyway from the min keel to the S.S. blocks and hardware. There is no jib to deal with so the rail is never in the way of sails like it might be on a sloop.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rogerschwake

Thanks Tom, you put it very well. I have all my lines run to the cockpit to keep me from having to go forward, but in my world something always gets jammed or hung up. Those side decks also seem to be getting narrower every year, are they shrinking maybe. You had to mention about turning 70, witch is coming up in a few months, anybody  know how to stop that problem. Anchoring is another good reason for a bow pulpit, I now anchor and eat lunch and maybe take a short nap on many occasions. I have talked too some that don't want to complicate there boats and keep them simple, then there's me that hangs every thing on there boat trying to make it hopefully easier to sail. Every body set your boat up the best way you know how and get out there and have a great time enjoying your boat.

ROGER

hoddinr

One reason I wanted this SunCat with the rail system was to hang fenders from.  It's perfect height and when they're hung vertically with a 3/8" inch line they are easy to put on and take off and don't interfere with going forward as they would if hung from the hand rails.

I intend to do some canal trips and have done a few river trips where fenders are almost in constant use.
Nomad also came with some huge fenders that were used on Dennis' previous boat a Sabre 36.

I'm also 70 years old now and not quite as nimble as some of you younger fellers.  So it helps me, and that's why I like it.

Ron