a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchor and rode for the Suncat

Started by Joseph, April 05, 2010, 11:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce

I use a Rocna 4 on my PC and have about 1/4" clearance with that tang. No need to change the anchor, the tang height isn't critical that I see. Haven't checked how the Mastendr Plus might be effected, guessing not at all.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Dave-in-RI

The shackle-side of the anchor shank pretty much abuts that hoop, or so it looked as though it would were I to hook it up to a chain. That might interfere with the shackle on the Mastendr Plus; they'd both be trying to occupy the center top space.

It brings me joy to know I picked the same anchor as you.

As for the 4 vs 6 kg... the Rocna selector has:

16' / 2200 lbs = 4kg;
16 ' / 11,000 lbs = 6kg;
20' / 1100 lbs= 4kg;
20' / 4400 lbs= 6kg

Stays the same for 23' also. I should note there were no other intermediary options.

So, with the 17' Sun Cat and 1500lbs displacement-- and with intentions (/a personal history showing I'd do it) to actually sail this thing much farther than I should up near Acadia, Moosehead, and Champlain, would you have bought the 4kg or the 6kg? It's only 4lbs difference, so I figured why not, but its larger size is a bit annoying (and visually not great hanging off the front). The deciding factor for me to nudge my vote toward the 6kg was the greater range of "I already have a good enough anchor" for any size powerboat I could afford in my future (/ no need to buy one).

What would you have chosen based on those numbers and potential stress tests of conditions?

Dave-in-RI

They also say, "Unlike other manufacturers, our anchor sizing recommendations are intended to provide an anchor adequate for use in most all conditions. We base our calculations on 50 knots of wind, associated surge, and poor holding bottoms. "

Upon closer review of those words and this table (vs the online calculator w/ drop-down), I'm thinking I should downsize to the 4kg and just buy another anchor for a future boat should I ever get one and it also not come with one. It also appears, visually, that the Fisherman model I purchased with the slot ("shackle rail") for gunkholing has a thicker/taller shank than the original one without it, and I suspect that's causing my issues with the tangs. Their dimensions charts/tables don't have measurements for the Fisherman, but it's clear in images that's the case.

Yeah, I'll be downsizing to a non-fisherman 4kg-- final answer. Well, it was a fun thought experiment.

bruce

Dave, my Rocna is pretty much a hood ornament. It's there for emergencies, but we have only used on a couple of occasions. I don't like how the wet, messy rode is dropped into the forward locker. If we anchored more, I'd fashion a container that would capture the rode to contain the mess, that could be removed for cleaning later. Don't know how the SC is set up.

When I bought it in 2010, Rocna had good reviews. Still does, but anchor discussions can take on a life of their own. Today, I'd also consider the Mantus with a roll bar because it breaks down for storage/portability, and maybe forgo the bow roller. Then I read about grassy bottoms where the old fisherman's anchor works well, and can break down for storage as well. Try that on a bow roller! It's all academic for us, but I do like having an anchor ready to deploy if a lee shore is calling.

4 vs. 6, I'm not the guy to ask. And it will depend on the conditions you intend to use it in, of course. Kedging off a beach on a calm day, or riding out a big storm. We day sail on nice days. Things happen, but my crew doesn't do adventure so we avoid questionable conditions.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Dave-in-RI

So what you're saying is I should add an electric windlass to the 17' Sun Cat, hehe

bruce

You keep adding weight and getting under that railroad bride won't be problem!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI