a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Horizon questions

Started by alsantini, September 04, 2024, 01:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

I am contemplating a Horizon and have a few questions.  I currently have an Eclipse.  Does the standard 2 axle trailer have brakes as standard equipment?  Where does one buy custom cockpit cushions?  Price?  Does the diesel option increase the board up draft?  How many adults can sit comfortably in the cockpit?  Does anyone know the length of the cockpit?

thanks in advance.  Al  (with possibly an Eclipse for sale?)

Andre

Hi Al

I have an outboard HC and I'm about to run off to a PT appointment....

My standard Magic Tilt trailer purchased from Hutchins is a 4 wheel trailer with discs all around. With total weight around 3,500 I would think brakes are mandatory. The diesel shouldn't affect draft except by virtue of it's approximately 250 lb weight. You can check the immersion depth on sailboatdata.com I would guess it would sit about 1-2 inches lower with the Diesel.

I'll answer more later ....

Andre

Andre

Ok I'm back, feel free to pose any additional questions and I'll try to answer them.

According to sailboatdata.com the pounds/inch immersion is 528 lb/in so the diesel's weight should impact the draft by less than an inch.

Regarding cockpit cushions I have no idea. C-P offers them and there are others "C Cushions" for one which are pretty nice. My friend with a Menger 19 has them. No idea of the price. I use type 4 flotation cushions and 2 folding seats - 1 Sport a Seat very comfortable great product expensive and 1 West Marine Go Anywhere cheaper started out ok but foam collapsed over time. It does have a full zipper so the foam should be easy to replace.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/belowdecks-amenities/portable-chairs-for-sitting-under-sail

The cockpit is pretty small which is why I think they made wheel steering standard. Probably 4 comfortably although standing/sitting in the companionway is a pretty comfortable and secure spot for a 5th. I never had more than 4. Sitting behind the wheel is not a bad spot for the helmsman if you keep an eye out for the boom and sheet and opens up room in the cockpit too. It's a double-ended sheeting arrangement so one has to get used to that but it's no big deal.

I can measure the cockpit but not for a while. It's got a pretty deep well with a sizeable bridge deck for safety and a good outdoor location for the 1 burner butane stove if it's nice out.

Recommendations ...

It's a pretty darn big sail so lazy jacks or stack pack are essential I think, as is a topping lift.

I had a sailmaker add a second reef about same size as the standard first. With it 20-25+ winds are fairly relaxed sailing (smooth water lake sailing). A diesel boat with the extra 250 lbs of "ballast" might be a bit stiffer.

Andre
PC & HC

bruce

Al, if an open cockpit is an option, there is a Horizon Day Cat with a spacious 10' 4" cockpit. A larger version of the Sunday Cat, with a small cabin. Good luck finding one used.
https://www.com-pacyachts.com/pdfs/Horizon-Day-Cat-Brochure.pdf

There used to be a Sun Cat Daysailer with no cabin, but I don't see that being offered these days. They do come up used from time to time, or Com-Pac may be persuaded.
https://www.com-pacyachts.com/trailerable-catboats/sun-cat-daysailer-photogallery.html

According to Com-Pac, the Sunday Cat cockpit is 8' 10". Good used market. In this thread, Tom Ray discusses the relative sizes of the Sunday Cat and Daysailer cockpits.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=3862.msg26554#msg26554
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Vectordirector

Hi Al,

Long time.  Hope all is well.  Still here in Punta Gorda.  I'm not sure how much of this web site is up to date since the owner of the dealership here died a year or so ago.  Ed Benson was a great guy and very knowledgeable with Com-Pac boats.  He was very helpful when I had questions about the Eclipse.   

Lots of info about the boats here:  https://www.gisails.com/boats/compac/horizondiesel/ including option prices.

Cockpit cushions are big bucks.  The set that came with my Eclipse were factory and very nice.  Tag said JSI, St.Pete, if I remember.  I think they did most of the canvas for Com-Pac.  Pretty sure they got bought by someone.  Matt @ Compac could price out a set for a Horizon.  I'm guessing somewhere around a boat buck.

Hit me up when you are back and we can sail my newer trimaran I bought after Ian. 

Bryan Hobgood
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Al

Al S,
  I sent you some pix yesterday at about 5PM,  did you get them?  It seems like some of our PM's get lost on the way. 
  Also answered some of you questions on the Horizon Cat.
tnx, Al P
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

kickingbug2

seems pretty pricy for a 20 ft boat. wow 12000 for the diesel.

MichaelQuigley

Quote from: Vectordirector on September 05, 2024, 02:06:03 PMHit me up when you are back and we can sail my newer trimaran I bought after Ian. 

Nice Sprint! I owned a Dash 750 back in 2010. Had a pretty bad capsize in a microburst near Fort Walton Beach.
1988 Com-Pac 19/3 #453, "Bella"

Vectordirector

It is a lot of fun.  She's much faster than my old F24Mk1.  I don't push her over 12 knots or so solo.  Have not had great weather so waiting for it to cool off to get more stick time. 

Cheers,

Bryan
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold