a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse vs. 19

Started by MichaelQuigley, August 03, 2024, 03:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelQuigley

Is there anyone here who has done some amount of sailing on both an Eclipse and the original 19? I previously owned a 19, and I'm hoping to find one again... I'm also open to trying to find an Eclipse to buy, but I'd be really curious how it sails and performs compared to the original 19?
1988 Com-Pac 19/3 #453, "Bella"

crazycarl

I haven't sailed on an Eclipse, but I've sat in the cabin of one at a boat show and the 19 has more head clearance.

If you're ever up my, send me a PM and we can go for a sail.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MichaelQuigley

Quote from: crazycarl on August 03, 2024, 04:19:21 PMI haven't sailed on an Eclipse, but I've sat in the cabin of one at a boat show and the 19 has more head clearance.

If you're ever up my, send me a PM and we can go for a sail.

Interesting! I would expect just based on photos for the Eclipse to feel bigger inside. Interesting that you observed differently in person.

Appreciate that invite! Hopefully once I get a boat, my wife and I will be making trips out to the coast from time to time... would love to meet up.

slode

I have been inside both.  The 19 does have more head room vertically but is a bit narrower in the taller section of the cabin. The overall feel inside is about the same. 

If you're keeping it at a slip I'd go either way, but if you're trailer sailing the Eclipse is the way to go.  With the mastender the Eclipse rigs much easier and quicker at the ramp. She also points a bit higher with the board down.  But being a fractional rig it's probably a bit slower downwind in light conditions with factory sail plan than the 19.  In a full course race they are probably pretty even.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

MichaelQuigley

That all makes sense with regard to the 19 vs. Eclipse. It's probably going to end up coming down to what I can find on the market... If an awesome Eclipse were to show up, I very well could be interested in one.

But I have to admit, I'm also kind of partial to the 19. I trailer-sailed one for a couple of years, so I'm familiar with what's involved. I definitely get that the Eclispe is easier to rig and launch...