Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hello from Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Started by BoatTreble, February 05, 2024, 07:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoatTreble

Hi,
My name is Al and I live at the northern tip of Lake Michigan in the UP.  I recently became the owner of Zoe (current name but it will be changed before she is launched this coming season with all requisite ceremony and ritual), a 1986 Com-Pac 27 (Mk1).  Pics once I figure out how to attach/upload them.
Zoe is my "happy retirement year to me" gift and I can't think of a better way to enjoy the upcoming years than from her deck.
I'm looking forward to becoming acquainted with other CP sailors here and learning all I can learn about these boats.  By her HIN Gerry Hutchins told me she is sequential hull number 29 of the 78 Mk1s built before the 27-2 went into production.  I'll take his word on that!
Until next time, hello and nice to meet y'all.

Al

deisher6

Hey Boat Treble:  Welcome to the ComPac Forum.  Congratulations on your "new" '86 ComPac 27.  We have had two "86 C-27's: the first one purchased new in 1986 and sailed for 4 years on the Carolina Sounds, the second purchased around 2014, rebuilt and sailed for a couple of more years also on the sounds. Northern boats, because of a short sailing season are generally in better condition than their southern counterparts.  I hope that you found a gem. 

In any case you have found a forum which contains a wealth of ComPac owners that have done everything to their ComPac(s).  Do not hesitate to ask for advice or opions.

Welcome aboard
regards charlie

Jim in TC

Another welcome, from northern lower. You can pretty much trust Gerry for anything ComPac, up to and including overnighting that critical bit of rigging needed to stay in the game. I haven't uploaded pix in a while but it used to be fairly straightforward, once you resized that high res photo into something more internet friendly. I suspect that is still the case. I used to use Microsoft Photo for that, but there are other options.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

BoatTreble

Quote from: deisher6 on February 05, 2024, 08:12:57 AMHey Boat Treble:  Welcome to the ComPac Forum.  Congratulations on your "new" '86 ComPac 27.  We have had two "86 C-27's: the first one purchased new in 1986 and sailed for 4 years on the Carolina Sounds, the second purchased around 2014, rebuilt and sailed for a couple of more years also on the sounds. Northern boats, because of a short sailing season are generally in better condition than their southern counterparts.  I hope that you found a gem. 

In any case you have found a forum which contains a wealth of ComPac owners that have done everything to their ComPac(s).  Do not hesitate to ask for advice or opions.

Welcome aboard
regards charlie

Thank you Charlie.

I do believe I have a gem in Zoe.  She is in the best condition of any of the other boats I looked at when I was still searching to buy.

I am looking forward to learning A LOT through the forum here.  And spending many hours playing the water with the wind in her sails!

Al

BoatTreble

Quote from: Jim in TC on February 05, 2024, 10:22:36 AMAnother welcome, from northern lower. You can pretty much trust Gerry for anything ComPac, up to and including overnighting that critical bit of rigging needed to stay in the game. I haven't uploaded pix in a while but it used to be fairly straightforward, once you resized that high res photo into something more internet friendly. I suspect that is still the case. I used to use Microsoft Photo for that, but there are other options.

Thank you Jim.

Yeah I figured that when I had questions going to the proverbial horses mouth was the best bet.  Though I do look forward to learning tons here too.

Al

Tim Gardner

so, where on the UP?
There may be a HUGE initiation fee from Bob 23, our resident bent nose.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

BoatTreble

Quote from: Tim Gardner on February 05, 2024, 08:40:04 PMso, where on the UP?
There may be a HUGE initiation fee from Bob 23, our resident bent nose.

Hey Tim,

I'm in Escanaba. On Little Bay de Noc. Just off of Green Bay and Lake Michigan proper. The "banana belt." Today we had freaking rain!  February 8th and rain in the Yoop. Almost unheard of ...  Huge initial fee huh? I better slack of spending money on the boat then!  :)

crazycarl

I wouldn't worry about bob23 and his fee.  He talks a mean game, but he's more like those two Muppet curmudgeons.  I admit he has good reason to be, living in New Jersey and drinking pbr all his 84 years. Rumor has it he was bottle fed it since he washed up on Tices Shoal all those years ago. 
He may threaten you with a visit from his pals, we call them the Golden Gals, but not to worry, they can't survive in the clean air of the UP.

If Bob does try to extort charge you a fee, send him a package of north woods biting flies and mosquitoes. The old man doesn't have enough blood in him to recover from those things.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

BoatTreble

Quote from: crazycarl on February 09, 2024, 08:40:28 AMIf Bob does try to extort charge you a fee, send him a package of north woods biting flies and mosquitoes. The old man doesn't have enough blood in him to recover from those things.

Ah you betcha eh!  Skeeters and bitin' flies fer sure.  We got plenty o'dem pesky critters we can export!  I can have a sasquatch deliver 'em all personal like eh?  Ridin' on a cougar's back!  LOL