a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Yanmar issues

Started by steviehs, September 07, 2023, 04:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steviehs

Unfortunately my CP23's yanmar stopped working three weeks ago on the last day of our vacation trip 5miles ahead of Szczecin/Poland... I behaved like it was running out of fuel: going slower, not taking gas anymore and then stopping.

There is a mechanic in the port which we entered and until now, he has checked a lot (at least he told me, I am back in Berlin and get the reports by phone only): Fuel is arriving, tested with other fuel tank, Ignition pump and Valve are ok and checked, compression is fine... The engine still does not fire up.

Now he tells me, that the last thing he sees could be the valves, but for checking the valves he needs to open the valve lid, which is not possible with the engine built in the boat - so he has to remove the engine.

Now this leads me to several questions (unfortunately I am not at the boat to check):

* is this really the case? Could the valve lid not be disassemblet inside the engine compartment?
* how complicated is it to remove the 1GM10 from the CP23 IV (Build 97)? Is there much furniture to be removed?
* any ideas what should also be checked before doing that?

When the engine stopped, I had the feeling that it is only a small issue... now it seems to convert to a real disaster :-(

Cheers
Steve
CP23D 1993 Located in Berlin/Germany

Paul HD

Hi Steve,

I thought I was the only owner of a 23D in Europe, so it is great to hear that there is another one.

I can tell you that is absolutely possible to take off the valve lid whilst in place. but to check the valves you need  to remove the cylinder head, not a difficult job. I have just replaced valves in the last two weeks.

My 23D is also around 97.

I am no mechanic but has he checked your injector?  Good luck with it.

steviehs

Hi Paul,

thanks for your fast answer!

Reading your statements make my doubts on those mechanics even stronger. We decided to take back the boat to Berlin on it's trailer and find a better garage here.... They told me, they have checked everything... but I do not really kn

I am not sure, how many 23D are around in Europe :-) There were two 23 without D on the M?ritz for sale, but they are not there anymore, dunno who got them. Maybe I find some time soon, to introduce our ship, we have it now since 2018, it was built in '93...

Two suggestions for your boat:

* The rudder blade is just crap. Com-Pac sells the new 23 with a foiled rudder, which is so much better and it is easy to replace this ... of course not for free, but it's worth taking into consideration

* The sliding hatch cover is a nice place for a 55W Sunbeamsystem Tough solar cell... also not the cheapest but works nice... always cold drinks :-)

Cheers
Steve

Paul HD

Hi Steve.

What a great picture of your 23. The Compac truly is a beautiful Boat. I look forward to hoisting the sails.

Here in the UK I called at least ten mechanics, they did not bother to answer and did not return a call. Myself and a mate watched plenty of videos on YT about the 1GM10 and did the job ourselves.
I am very happy that I now know a little bit about the engine.

Thanks for the tip on the rudder. I noticed that steering is fairly stiff under motor power, is that to do with the shape of the old rudder? I will take a look at the foil rudder.
I am interested in the tube rig at the back of your boat. I s this to support the mast when down?

All the best,
Paul. ⛵️👍🏻

Al

Hi Steve,   Yes, that's a great pic of your 23 under sail.   
  When I saw your first post on your problems, my first thought was that the fuel filter(s) were clogged up.   I would have expected that the various mechanics would have ckd that, so didn't reply then.  But t hasn't been mentioned so far. 
  If the fuel line was opened, it would let some thru, but maybe not sufficient.   But, yours is a 1 cyl., so wouldn't take much fuel. 
  Another, hopefully better, thought, is as someone already mentioned, could be your injector.  It's an easy job to take it to a diesel shop and have them check.  Around here, where marine engines a common, the shops have specs on the various injectors.   If your local shop doesn't have them, you should easily be able to get them from Yanmar.
  Also, check your fuel tank to be sure there's no water in it. 
best of luck,  good Fall sailing is just starting here now.
Al
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

steviehs

Hi Paul,

Quote from: Paul HD on September 10, 2023, 01:17:47 PM
Here in the UK I called at least ten mechanics, they did not bother to answer and did not return a call. Myself and a mate watched plenty of videos on YT about the 1GM10 and did the job ourselves.

It seems, that I have already some willing and knowledged people here in Berlin, so I will keep you updated, what they found...

Thanks for the tip on the rudder. I noticed that steering is fairly stiff under motor power, is that to do with the shape of the old rudder? I will take a look at the foil rudder.

The old aluminium board was just twiggling around either running on sails or on engine...

I am interested in the tube rig at the back of your boat. I s this to support the mast when down?

Yes, I guess this is something custom build for the former owners of the ship. I don't know why it has to be that big, most ships have just a pole in the middle for that. But as it is really helpful for entering the boat after swimming and from the pier (we prefer mooring with the aft to the pier), we are happy with it.

steviehs

Quote from: Al on September 10, 2023, 02:43:22 PM
  Also, check your fuel tank to be sure there's no water in it. 
best of luck,  good Fall sailing is just starting here now.

The season here is almost at it's end, so it could be worth...

Yes, fuel issues was the first even I checked when sailing to the marina. Even short circuiting everything through a spare canister did not change anything. The engineers told me, they have already checked all stuff (injector nozzle, injection pump, fuel pump, filters, etc.etc.) except from the valves...

Endeavor

Not a diesel mech, but I've found that the no start problem is usually a simple rather than complicated issue such as Air in the fuel. I am guessing you have already tried to bleed any air out of the fuel circuit to the injectors, but I did not read that in your description.  If you did, I'd suggest trying again until you are certain there are no air bubbles/leaks in the fuel circuit-Filter to injectors.

I have a passion for older Mercedes diesels, work on the engines is easier because of low tech-like a Yanmar.  Air in the fuel lines is almost always the issue for no start, rough running (running out of fuel) and low power.

Yes, that is great photo, love it!
1984 Com-Pac MKII 311

steviehs

One detail on the pic: see the CP23 little little sister sailing to the right :-)

The boat is now trailered back to Berlin and will be checked by other mechanics next week... I am really curious...

steviehs

Quote from: Paul HD on September 07, 2023, 04:32:38 PMI thought I was the only owner of a 23D in Europe, so it is great to hear that there is another one.

I can tell you that is absolutely possible to take off the valve lid whilst in place. but to check the valves you need  to remove the cylinder head, not a difficult job. I have just replaced valves in the last two weeks.

My engine is still not working... now the second mechanic checked until ending up in the need to remove the engine. At least at my CP23D, there is not enough space above the engine to remove the valve lid... Now the engine will be removed in the next weeks and we press thumbs, that it is not a broken piston...

Tim Gardner

Never heard of "press thumbs"! Hope it's better than "fingers crossed".
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

steviehs

Quote from: Tim Gardner on November 19, 2023, 10:31:29 AMNever heard of "press thumbs"! Hope it's better than "fingers crossed".

Yes, this is the metric form of hoping for luck :-)

Paul HD

Quote from: steviehs on November 18, 2023, 12:58:27 PMMy engine is still not working... now the second mechanic checked until ending up in the need to remove the engine. At least at my CP23D, there is not enough space above the engine to remove the valve lid...

That is odd. Maybe your engine mounts are higher?? You would of thought they would be the same dimensions unless one of our engines has been changed.
At least the mechanic will not have to lay on his side for hours.

steviehs

I just wanted to give you an update of what happened to the engine:

It was removed by myself - fairly easy, the opening is exactly fitting. Of course there is not much space, but I've build some wooden rails and it easily slid out.

After that, I brought the engine to a professional yanmar repair shop. The cylinder was broken _and_ the injection pump was damaged. While the injection pump was the original fault and _none_ of the three repair shops at the beginning found out, the very first repair shop killed the engine by trying to start it with excessive use of starter help spray. It seems you could use it for a few seconds, to understand if the engine starts and then look for the fuel system if it does, but not as he did.... almost minutes...

Ok. Lesson learned. 4000 EUR poorer. :-(

Paul HD

Good to hear you have it back up and running.