a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Salon Flip-Up Table Support Spring ?

Started by Jma1_nemo, February 16, 2017, 11:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jma1_nemo

Can anyone provide the length and possibly a picture of the Support Spring for the flip-up table top in the salon on a CP27?  Mine was sprung last summer and needs replacement, but my boat is in storage and inaccessible, but I wanted to order a replacement. Thanks in Advance

Tney88

Hmmm, interesting....my 2004 CP27 doesn't have this.  My table is hinged at the bottom to a self unit on the forward bulkhead, and it swings down with a leg that swings out to support it.  There is a leaf that can be folded out (or not) doubling the size of the table.

Terry Ney
CP 27 "Paradiso"
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Jma1_nemo

Sorry for my poor description. At the aft end of the port settee, I have a small table top maybe 2'x2' that flips up and is supported by a spring support. I am trying to attach a pic.

wes

I don't have one of those either and have never seen one on a 27; wonder if it was a mod by the PO.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

frank

I have one....but with a "fold out" wooden support under....no spring...
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

thomeng55

Ditto Franks Response.

I have one also, but with a wooden support.

relamb

Ditto on the wooden support on my 1988 CP27.  However, I had another boat with similar type springs that held hatch doors open.  I just bought a set at http://donsmarinesalvageyard.com/ Don's Marine Salvage yard in Clearwater FL, they have new stuff as well as salvage, and had at least two, maybe three different sizes.  I bought them to keep the aft compartment hatches braced open so they are not slamming shut on my head when digging down in there.
Here's what they look like https://www.wholesalemarine.com/sea-dog-stainless-steel-hatch-spring.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAirXFBRCQyvL279Tnx1ESJAB-G-QvsH0-UBPwOS2WYoJrCmrcKFIllYqogJvitO7XypxNehoCWd7w_wcB
If I were doing it, I'd do it like the other CP27s with a wooden support, because if you bump these springs in the center by accident, your table will collapse.
Although the bigger/stiffer the spring the less likely.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Jma1_nemo

Thanx All. I agree the wooden support sounds better and less damageable. I believe someone (who out ranks me ;) bent the spring the wrong direction some how, and now it has a big kink right in the middle of it and will not lock in the straight position. Could anyone supply a picture of the wooden support?

relamb

I'm not at the boat to take a picture of the wooden support, but here's another option for springs http://thmarine.com/lid-and-hatch-support#!prettyPhoto .
As far as the wooden support goes, Imagine an upside down 90 degree triangle that is hinged vertically at the back.  You swing your shelf/table up, then swing this out as a support under it.  Fold it back against the cabinet wall, and lower your table down.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Tney88

Mine is like several others, has a swing out support on a vertical hinge.

Terry Ney
SV Paradiso
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR