a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Installed: 10W Solar Panel

Started by ChuckD, February 01, 2017, 05:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckD

My carbon footprint just dropped a shoe size!
I've been wanting to detach from shore power - I use so little, but pay for it every 30 days.
In 4 months, my solar panel of choice could pay for itself.

Then I signed up for an Amazon Prime Store card - they sported me $50, which I used to fund this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EB3OC9W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's hard to argue with instantaneous payback!
And it took all of 10 minutes to install & start drawing power from the nearest star today.
s/v Walt Grace (CP16)
Sequim, WA

Potcake boy

Looks good, should keep your battery in good shape.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

retrafwo

I am really interested in how this works for you here in the North West. I looked at it on Amazon but as usual the reviews are mixed although mostly positive.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

ChuckD

It's been raining here for the last week, with some indirect sunlight.

When I connected the panel, the battery level was at 10.6. Today, it was at 12.5... so I'm feeling confident that this will do what I need.
s/v Walt Grace (CP16)
Sequim, WA

Potcake boy

For areas such as the PNW you may benefit from a MPPT regulator. Here is a brief explanation of their operation and benefits.

https://www.solar-electric.com/mppt-solar-charge-controllers.html/

It also points out a commonly overlooked fact that 10 watts at 17 volts is not 10 watts at 12 volts, so you have to get into a little bit of arithmetic when calculating power requirements. Working with the new technologies for power generation and storage is somewhat different than the standards we are accustomed to. Kind of like going from American standard measurement to the metric system. Have you noticed the increased use of three batteries instead of the traditional 2 or 4. OK, OK, I'll take my spoonful of new math.

Yeah, it's crazy the way technology is creeping into the sanctity of our sailing tradition, pretty soon they will be making our boats out of plastic. Ghastly!!!!
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

retrafwo

Thanks ChuckD. Yes finally some sunshine down here in Oregon. Another question, did it come with a or did you also buy a voltage controller?
Per Ardua Ad Astra

ChuckD

Retrafwo,
It comes with one, built-in.
Sun dance!
s/v Walt Grace (CP16)
Sequim, WA

retrafwo

thanks ChuckD, I think I will go with the same model, maybe compare notes later in the season.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

ChuckD

Great - keep me posted!

Notes:
. My mounting bracket is slightly different than pictured on Amazon, but I actually like it better - it's adjustable. Installed in minutes, started drawing celestial power!
. I also got one of these, which I love (took about 10 days to arrive): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KY5ULW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

s/v Walt Grace (CP16)
Sequim, WA

HeaveToo

Good job.

Glad you have a charge controller.  Here is a little supplemental information on charge controllers:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/solar_controller_testing

Take a look at that guy's site for other posts.  He does a pretty good job.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

ChuckD

Thanks, HeaveTo...
I recall reading that when I was shopping for panels.
Tons of good info!
s/v Walt Grace (CP16)
Sequim, WA

HeaveToo

You will LOVE having solar.  It is a good method of keeping things charged up.  Leave the boat and come back with full batteries without having the worry of shore power.  It is also nice if you stay on the hook.

Enjoy!
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

HeaveToo

Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Wayne J

found a 30W coleman solar panel on ebay. Also a nice little sunsei mounting kit for $20 on Amazon

Wayne (Cheap)
CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

Chris D

Nice panel Wayne. It seems like a reasonable size for the boom gallows. How are you planning on running the wires and what size battery are you charging?

Chris
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,