a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

27ft Allure, winter 2016/17 Abaco cruise

Started by frank, January 25, 2017, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank

Landed back on November 22nd, cleaned/waxed Allure, sealed the teak, dodger/bimini back on as well as the sails and solar panel. It was a very busy few days!! Launched November 25th and have been playing in the Abacos since. This is winter #3 on Allure and still loving the 27!! A great cruiser for BAHAMAS!
Have been posting updates on Kurt's other site here:

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=4751.0

Hope everyone is having a great winter!

Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Allure2sail

Hi Frank:
This is the owner of the other "Allure" located near Newport, RI. I'm still struggling with the issue of selling my boat up here and buying something down there (Florida). Second choice would be to ship it down. I feel my biggest problem is it only has the small M-12 diesel engine. I've had occasions where beating into the wind and current I'm lucky to do a couple of knots. Feel the boat is way under powered to do the ICW to Florida which from talking to people is mostly motor sailing at best. What do you feel is the best path for me to follow to get down to the Bahamas this year. I most likely would be solo sailing the trip down and to the Bahamas as well (makes for a long trip !!
Bruce
S/V Allure (the northern one)
Swansea, MA

relamb

Bruce, I'll help you sail it down!  I was in Newport this fall for the boat show, first time in that area and loved it.
My CP27 is in St Pete FL right now, I'd like to get it up to Maine this summer but I don't have the time.

Plan B, it's pretty straightforward to haul it down, I have a shipping cradle and a flatbed trailer.  I haul the boat myself between FL and Lake Michigan,
this spring I'll make my fourth or fifth 1200 mile trip.

Maybe we could work out a boat swap.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

frank

Honestly.....I would get bids and truck it down. (Surprisingly cheap if filling a return)
By the time you figure how many hours spent taking her down....
How many gallons of fuel....
How many how's of extra wear on the engine and potential break downs...
How much on Marina fees etc...
Truck her to Manetee pocket near Stuart (or similar) you're already there!
One day to West Palm (Lake worth inlet)
Cross from there.
Once on the banks it's easy.

I can give you lots of info when you're getting ready.

Have fun!

Allure2sail

Hi Frank:
Man your a Captain saver !! I did get a price last year and it was $5,200 dollars to truck it to Fort Lauderdale. That's why I was thinking of selling it and getting something down there. I meet the gentleman and hid wife from the group that sailed up here a few years ago on his 27. It was a later model and had the bigger engine (18 HP). I'll be retired by May when the boat goes in for the season. Come on up you can use the boat anytime !! Been to 53 harbors in my 13 years of sailing but it has all been New England coastline sailing. Interested in bring the boat down there for me, I'll gladly pay you instead of a boat hauling company !! I'm sure this conversation is to be continued....
Bruce Isidor
S/V Allure
Swansea Marina

Allure2sail

HI:
Here is an idea, drive to Newport and we will take my boat to Maine !! I've been solo sailing for 7 years now. Use to have a sailing partner but she moved to George to care for her mother. Let's chat....I've sailed to Maine on a boat delivery of a 33 foot Hunter (didn't really care for the boat....LOL).
Cheers
Bruce
P.S. I thought you were in the Bahamas with your boat?

frank

Yep....I'm in the Abacos??

Thought you were wondering wether to take your boat S on the waterway or truck it? ????????

If you're retiring.....take a slow, enjoyable trip S, then in the fall....cross to Abacos.
Most people are "destination bound" heading S and not truly enjoying the trip with little extra time for stops. Take your time, do the odd shore day(s) and have fun. You'll meet a ton of characters on the way!

Allure2sail

Hi Frank:
Have thought about it a number of times. I need to find someone that will truck it down for a more reasonable fee. Do you think an earlier model (!987) with the small diesel is capable of making it to Florida?
Thanks
Bruce
Abacos !!!!! Your a lucky man !!!

Allure2sail

Hi Frank:
I'm confused I thought you lived in Florida. Sounds like you live in the northern states and keep the boat down south (Bahamas)?
Bruce

frank

OK...
Here goes...
I live in Ontario Canada
Cruised south in winters since 2002
Took Allure across to Abacos in 2015, stored here in offseason
Trailer sail a Suncat ALL over based out of home (Jubilee)
Took a CP 25 across in 07..,,back in 2011 (sold)
Took a CP 23PH across in 2012, back in 2013
Took CP23PH across by HW to the PNW fall of 2015. Cruised way up N. (Sold)

This message coming to you from ALURE in Black Sound, Green Turtle Cay, Abacos

wes

Hi Frank - does your 27 have the earlier Universal M12 diesel (like my 1988) or the later, larger 18 hp? If the former, would be interested in your comments about how well the  smaller engine handled the crossing from FL to the Bahamas.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

frank

Allure has a 20hp, 3 cylinder Yanmar.
You would be fine with a 12hp in everything but right into a head sea and tide.
With a bit of trip planning you should not have issues.
Bamamas tide charts are free online. Google the area you are in ei: Green Turtle Cay Tides and several will come up. Passage Weather. Com is a great site to watch wind forecasts and wave heights.
Come on over!!

Allure2sail

Hi Frank:
Thank for the info. I told the company I'm consulting at that the end of this May I'll be retiring and wont be doing any more projects for them. To me that's step number one !! Step number two will be getting the boat launched in the end of May.
Looking forward to this sailing season.
Thank you for the encouragement
Bruce
S/V Allure

relamb

>Do you think an earlier model (!987) with the small diesel is capable of making it to Florida?
I tow my CP27 with a 1999 Chevy K3500.  Crew Cab, 4WD, 6.5L turbodiesel.  it has 250,000+ miles on it.
There's a few spots in the mountains between Nashville and Chattanooga TN where I'm down to 45mph chugging up the hill in the slow lane.
Other than that, no problems.  It's not the going, it's the stopping, you need good trailer brakes.
Rick

Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Allure2sail

Hi relamb:
Realize now I should have been talking to you about getting the boat to Florida. I have thought about taking to Florida by water but it is a real long trip solo. Are you serious about helping get the boat to Florida for an eventual trip to the Bahamas?  If so I'm sure we can work something out, to truck it I was quoted $5,200 from basically Newport, RI to Fort Lauderdale. Let's chat, if I had crew I would consider the trip by the ICW.
Bruce
S/V Allure II
Swansea, MA