a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Unused Thru-Hulls

Started by thomeng55, October 19, 2016, 05:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomeng55

So I am unsure of the proper action to take on some unused thru-hulls on my CP 27.

I am installing a composting head, and removing an electroScan.  Since most of my sailing is great lakes, and the PO was an Atlantic coast sailor, he had no holding tank and did not need the salination system required when using the electroscan in fresh water.  And, I like the environmental implications and the extra space I get removing the tank hoses, etc. But, I will have 2 thru hulls that will go unused.  The salt water intake and the MSD Discharge.

So...do I close the valve and leave them?  I I need to cap/ seal it off?  Should I remove them and glass over the holes? (Bottom is being soda blasted for a fresh bottom so it ll be exposed).  I am not sure what to do. 

I may have a similar situation if I remove the AC unit (not currently installed, but included separate with the boat).  The AC housing is just forward head and turns the starboard settee into a none practical berth, unless you are 4 feet tall.  Since I plan on some family joining me overtime a few times, I want the berth space on the boat.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thom
SV TomCat

Tney88

If I was doing that, I'd cap them off in a manner that allows for future use, such as a brass pipe cap.  I wouldn't glass them over.

Just out of curiosity, what brand of composting head did you settle on, and how high is that going to make the seat?  We've been interested in going that route, as holding tank capacity has been a limiting factor between marina stops.  But the admiral is 5 ft 2 in tall, and most composting heads are pretty high, so by the time you put it on the low shelf that the existing head sits on, the seat height is so high her feet would be dangling 4" off the floor, and for some reason she objects to that.  Also, I know keeping the #2 compartment of the composting head dry is important, and I know that when we use the shower, some water inevitably gets into the head.  How are you addressing that?

Regards,

Terry Ney
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

deisher6

Hey Thom:
I would glass them up especially since the hull is being cleaned up. 

Are there two more through hulls forward where there original speed wheel and depth transducer were usually located?

Like Terry I am interested in the type and installation of the composting head.  Take pictures, please.

Thank you for the post.

regards charlie

Potcake boy

Thom,

I am in Charlie's camp on the unused through hulls. It is a pretty simple solution to perform while the bottom is cleaned up, and would be one less thing to worry about.

The main reason that I have responded to this post is to address the composting head issue. Thank you for choosing that route, as there are so many advantages and IMO no drawbacks to this approach. It is the most natural and sanitary way to dispose of solid waste, it's like carrying the woods with you.

I haven't yet installed one myself because I am selling my 23 pilot house in favor of a bigger cruising boat. In approaching that idea for the pilot house, I did a fair amount of research on the topic to make sure I understood it completely. It is a very simple solution and shouldn't be over complicated, it's not magic. Personally, I like the C-Head approach for it's simplicity and DIY repairs if needed. I see that they now provide an expanded range of products adapted from the original to ensure a fit for every application.

Happily, one day in the near future MSDs will be on the shelf along with monochromatic GPS units.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

NateD

I think it is a resale/paranoia trade off. Glass'em up and have no worries about those particular holes in your hull anymore. Or close the seacock, maybe find some kind of cap for it, and use seizing wire or zip ties to lock the valve handle closed so no one accidentally opens it. A future owner may want to add a marine head back in there, and already having the through hulls/seacocks in place would be a selling point.

Personally, I would leave them in place, but I don't think there is a wrong answer.

Potcake boy

I think you'd be out of your head if you eliminated those through hulls!!!   LOL couldn't resist that one.

I really don't understand why there hasn't been a stronger movement toward composting heads. Who likes the cabin to smell like sewage, locating a pump out station and the mess of that. Why carry around many gallons of raw sewage in your boat. Replacing joker valves and rebuilding pumps along with the extra worry of the plumbing that provides a way for sea water to enter your boat at an alarming rate. Even a porta potti is more maintenance than a composter, and you don't have to worry about an accidental spill while emptying that tank at home. I suppose that some just can't break with the idea that the marine head looks like the one they have at home so it must be as worry free.

My next boat WILL have a composter in the head. No holding tank, no plumbing, no smell, no pump out, no maintenance.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

thomeng55

Thanks for the comments everyone...

On the topic of the Composting head... I am planning on making the final decision at the Chicago Boat Show this winter when I can actually see them live.  They seem to be about 20" tall which is pretty tall, especially with the draining, sloped sole in the head.  I have been debating adding a teak "level deck" in the head or possibly even a simple folding stool in front of the head, espeically for the grandkids.  We'll see how it works out once the head is installed.

Ill take pictures and post as I work this through in the spring.

THanks again

Tom