a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1983 Com-Pac 23 For Sale....SOLD!

Started by K3v1n, October 09, 2016, 03:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3v1n

Just returned from the Annapolis Boat Show and looks like a bigger boat is definately in our future. Have to sell one to buy says the Admiral! :)

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/61915
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

peterg

Kev- a friend down here has a nice Alberg 35 for sale for not much more than what you're asking for your 23. Unless you want to go for that flashy new stuff from the show!! Let me know if you are interested. Pedro
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Bob23

K3v1n

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Chris D

Hey Kevin,
How do you feel about lay-away plans?
Chris
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

K3v1n

Hey Chris!
Thinking about trading up soon? What did you have in mind concerning a Lay-away?
Of course I'd have to run it by the Admiral. :)

-Kevin

PS. If I could convince Lesa I'd take your 16 as part of the deal. :D
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Chris D

Hey Kevin,
I've enjoyed watching your videos @ Empty Nest Sailing with you and your family, as well as watching the progression through the different boats. My nest is still full with a full blown tween and an early teen. I have had the 16 for a few years with ambitions to recondition her. Right now we are in the process of searching for a home to buy, so in reality I am probably jumping the gun on purchasing a larger boat. But I do have dreams of the whole family sailing around and "camping" on a boat. How trailerable is a 23? I do want the ability to sail more, not less as I am landlocked, and so something trailerable and the ability to sail solo are important.  I try to get to Assateague once a year. Are you enjoying your Cape Dory?  My Wife and I have been enjoying Lesa's "Luffing with Lesa". Good stuff.

Chris
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

K3v1n

Hey Chris,
People do trailer-sail the 23 but it seems like a lot of work to me. As for my 23, the trailer is homemade and not really made for launching myself so I leave it up to the marina. Bob23's trailer is more ramp friendly and he still uses a marina.
If I was going to do a lot of launching and retrieving myself I'd look at the Eclipse or one of the Com-Pac Cat Boats. Of course they are going to cost you a bit more.

Best wishes on your future sailing dreams!
-Kevin

PS. Thanks for watching Empty Nest Sailing.

Launching CP23 HideAway - How Hard Can It Be?
Sailing CP23 HideAway- Mast Rasing
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Chris D

I appreciate your insights Kevin, thanks for sharing them. And the accompanying SV Hideaway videos. Good stuff. It does seem that maybe I am not at the point of a larger craft. Good luck with Dorothea, may she bring you lots of joyous adventures! And also with the sale of Tetra, she seems like a great boat in great shape.

Happy sails!
Chris
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

K3v1n

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

brackish

Hi Chris, I came to this post late as I was traveling and not keeping up.  You may not be ready to move up in size, but don't give up on the 23 to suit your purpose.  Here is reality, maybe for your situation. 

1. Camp/cruising for four would not work well with a boat smaller than a 23, and in fact the 23 would be pushing it. Certainly it has four berths, but you have to be very inventive with the storage of stuff.
2. How easy it is to trailer is dependent on how much work you put into planning.  I've owned my 23 for seven years now and while it stays in the water most of the time, I've made a number of road trips.  It takes about 1.5-2 hours to prep it for travel which includes dropping the mast.  It takes about the same amount to prep and launch at your destination.  This is for one person doing everything, and I've done this a half dozen times each way.  If you have a crew, with organization it should be less.
3. Kevin is right, it is hard work but it is easier if your mast raising system does not need the trailer.  Dropping/raising the mast and doing the prep work on the water is a lot easier than climbing a ladder to do everything.   My system is described on the DIY section of this forum.
4. Realistically it is a 5000 lb. total tow, and with four folks you would be pushing a 10K GVWR so you need a vehicle with reasonable towing power.  Mine rates 6500 tow, with 11, 200 GVRW and I would not attempt a highway road trip with anything less.
5. Your best bet is to find a marina with a ramp that let's you store on the trailer mast up and your launch time is significantly reduced.

Just some thoughts.....

Chris D

Brack,

Thank you for your thoughts. It is funny, I never really thought about the towing weight, but that is quite a load. I don't think my truck could handle that. I can see how it prepping on the water might be a better option. I will definitely check out your mast raising system in the DIY section. I appreciate that you and Kevin have shared some of the realities involved in owning a boat the size of the CP23. I do wish Kevin and Lesa the best of luck in selling their boat, it'll happen, she looks like a real beauty and I know they put a lot of work into it.

Chris
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,