a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Off the Wind is in dry dock

Started by alsantini, October 03, 2016, 07:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Pulled the boat today.  Dropped the mast in the slip and got everything ready for drive to storage (Lake Summerset).  Motored over to the ramp, put her on the trailer and after removing the rudder, drove over to the car wash across the street.  Nothing like hot soapy water under pressure to peal off the "fur" from Pistakee Lake.  After some TLC next week, next stop should be salty....  This is the only boat that I have owned that I have been able to take the mast down while in a slip - cool system.
What is going on in the rest of your lives?  Boats still in, out, stuck on a sand bar?  Winter sailing plans?
Sail On - Al

Bob23

"Koinonia" is still enjoying the fall here in NJ in her slip whilst waiting for me to get out for an evening sail. She'll stay in until mid November if the weather holds. Of course, this pesky Mathew could change all that if he decides to veer in. While the sailboat will eventually have to come out, the intrepid guideboat "Straggler" will be rowed year round with an eye toward the traditional New Years Day row.
  A friend just gave me a Sunfish over the weekend and although it's already causing some marital friction, I do love the simplicity of a Sunfish. Standing headroom!!!
Cheers!!! Bob23

Potcake boy

Bob,

Your mention of the Sunfish and standing headroom reminded me of a happening once in our local hangout (anchor out) Pelican Bay at Cayo Costa Island at the mouth of Charlotte Harbor. A young lady of about 9 years was sailing a Sunfish her family had brought along on their cruising boat. She was sailing all over the place back and forth and having a great time, she was sailing standing up. This probably should be included in the discussion on "where are our future sailors".
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Eagleye

Al,
Fall sailing here in the northeast is pretty awesome.  Indian summer, autumn leaves and brisk winds make for a nice season's end.  I may have to play hooky from work to catch a few more sails.
  -Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Jim23

We've had a warm Fall as well with great sailing and beautiful color. Many of our lodgepole pines were lost to beetle kill in the last 10 years and as a result the aspen have really taken off. Cold fronts are just now starting to move through pushing some heavy winds and bringing a little snow with them. I'm still hoping to get a few sails in before the 15th when the boat has to be out. I usually try to get in at least one snow-sail before the end of the season. After the 15th the boat is stored on marina property and by January it's inaccessible without snowshoes.

This time of year I start to envy the folks that sail in Florida.

-Jim

Vectordirector

Another Punta Gorda sailor checking in.  Had the boat out today for the first time in a while and really enjoyed the 85 degree partly cloudy 8 knot winds.  It has been brutally hot this summer and quite wet.  We were lucky to get out once a week, mostly in the morning before the daily crop of thunderstorms arrived.  If there was wind. I wasn't fond of summer here this year, I may snowbird next year.

The sailing season has finally arrived.  The weather is starting to cool off and the winds are coming back.  October is great down here, perfect sailing and not crowded, yet. 

Livin' La Vida,

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold