a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

ComPac 27 vs Island Packet 27

Started by deisher6, September 15, 2016, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

Was fortunate enough to spend last weekend sailing the Apostle Islands on an IP 27.  It looks much like a C27 from the outside.   They have the same designer.  I recall when we bought our first C-27 in 1986 for $38,000 at the IP was selling for over $60,000.   I can see why now. 

I like the twin back stays on the IP and wonder if any C-27 owners have replaced the spit back stay with twin backstays?  I will consider it if I replace standing rigging.  They are more out of the way of the helmsman.

The increased weight, beam and more 'V' shape of the forward sections of the boat made so much difference when beating into a chop.  We had all sorts of wind and water conditions consequently used every sail combination from double reefed main with stay sail, to full main and 150.  We did not use the genoa with the stay sail.  Frankly it was a pain in the butt to tack the genoa around the stay for the stay sail.  Had to furl and set the genoa each tack.

I thought that the steering arrangement would be awkward, having to straddle the wheel shaft.  It wasn't,  but it was interesting that there is no or little feedback in the steering.  The wheel seemed to stay  where it was left.  That took some getting used to.

The IP accommodations were better than the C-27 as you would expect.  The cabin top is insulated.  In checking stuff out , found that the stuffing box was dripping at about 45 times a minute.  The boat had a good bilge pump so it was not a problem for the 3 days I was aboard, but access to the stuffing box did not appear to be as good as that on the C-27.  Superior insulation kept the engine noise considerably lower than that on a C-27.

It is the first time that I have used a full battened main with lazy jacks, halyards, main sheet and furling lines led aft.  I guess that it was nice not having to go to the mast to furl....but I am OK with going to the mast.  Second batten pocket kept fouling on the topping lift eventually needing repair. We never did seem to hit the proper tension for the topping lift to keep it from either fouling the back stays if to loose, or catching on the leech if too tight.

I liked the head forward, quarter berth  arrangement.

All in all a nice boat, at a price.

Sailing the Apostles, priceless!

regards charlie

MHardy

Charlie,

How do you think the IP would perform in light winds compared to your boat?
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

deisher6

Hey Mark:
Off the wind in a mild chop the C-27 might prevail.  We did not try the full main, stay sail, and genoa all at once, but again in light air the C-27 would be I think favored.  Others on this forum have more Island Packet experience and may be better judges of comparative performance.
regards charlie