a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Broach on run and broad reach

Started by patfurr, September 13, 2016, 09:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patfurr

Hi all.  I had another wonderful adventure last week on Lake Winnisquam aboard Impulse III.  Winds started out at 10-15 knots and were forecast to build so going singlehanded, I reefed before leaving the  dock. She sails so nicely with a stronger breeze and the reef in my opinion improves performance in heavier air in many ways.  Beyond reducing the tendency to be overpowered so quickly I swear for what ever reason the reefed close hauled performance allows a slightly higher bearing to windward.  Maybe my imagination.  So as the winds did indeed build, and as I worked my way north into the breeze I was having fun taking advantage of the gusts to roll up and off the wind to keep her on her feet.  Then it came time to turn home for some rollicking broad reaches.  Ohhh Yeah!!!!!  I am sure I exceeded hull speed many times.  She was humming and I swear I heard her laugh.  As I got out into the broader part of the lake and the winds built to an estimated 20-25, I had all I could do fighting weather helm.  And then I started to be hit with broach after broach.  The first few were of short duration, but there was no way I could counter it without feeling like I would break the tiller in two.  At one point I got hit with a sustained gust for a good three minutes and all I could do was let her turn to weather and head out in a direction other than my choosing.  We were flying and laughing but it occurred to me that where I was heading really was not up to me anymore.  Now I did raise the centerboard nearly all the way to increase speed and fun, but I  guess my question is, would I have had a better chance to counter or prevent the broach if I had my centerboard down more?  Any other hints? 
Impulse III

Duckie

Last month I got my weekender way past hull speed running down a stiff wind.  I did it with the main doused and bundled and the jib doing all the work.  The best part of that was the fact that the boat was so well behaved.  I was relaxed and marveling at how fast the jib could move the boat alone.  Try that.  I think you will really like it.

Al

patfurr

Hi Al.  Yes even with the main reefed and anticipating the bigger gusts, there was just no way to counter the broach.  I have been thinking about flying a jib for better light air performance and to help point a tad higher upwind.  I am heading to Lake Champlain later this week and if I get into some heavier air, I will toy with the centerboard depth to see what effect that has on countering the broach. 
Impulse III

Craig

Check to make sure your rudder is in the full down and locked position. Just a small amount of aft sweep will drastically increase weather helm and the tendency to head-up(broach). Do you have a stock rudder or foiled one? A foiled rudder will greatly reduce weather helm. One of the best investments you can make!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

patfurr

Thanks Craig.  Yes for sure my rudder was fully down and pinned with a nylon shear pin.  I have been in contact with Gerry at Hutchins and I am planning on replacing my stock rudder with the foiled version for next season.  All this being said, I am very impressed with the SunCat's stability and margin of safety.  For a single hander like myself who is starting to realize (begrudgingly) that I am not 25 anymore, the fact that she will turn to weather if things get really close to the limit is in a way a built in safety net.  But I wear my PFD just the same. 
Impulse III

Duckie

I had no idea that you were sailing a cat.  That changes some things.  If you are already reefed as deeply as you can get, and you still feel over powered, you can let the peak halyard fly to scandalize the sail.  This will dramatically reduce the sail area as well as move the center of effort lower.  If you try this, watch that the sail doesn't flog itself to death.  If it does flog a lot, try to get that to stop or at least slow down if you are going to have to sail like that.  I also sail a gaffer.  Mine is a sloop, but I do know the issues with a main sail topped by a yard.  Try it in slower winds to see if it will work for you then try it again in bigger winds.

Al

patfurr

I had considered scandalizing the sail but I was worried about flogging the rig.  I happened to be out single handed that day and I had my hands fairly full.  Really, what swayed my decision most was my concern that the gaff would somehow have gotten caught up in my lazy jacks.  It was a pretty sporty ride, but at no time was I worried.  I will pull the entire rig down lower with the downhaul and let off the halyards to lower the CG or moment as well as fiddle with the centerboard next time.  Then next year I will have a foiled rudder and that should help even more.  Thanks for all the ideas. 
Impulse III

Craig

The Suncat is a great boat! We had one for several years prior to moving to the Horizon Cat. You can de-power the rig by just easing the peak halyard a little as opposed to(full) scandalizing. That will spill air from the top of the sail and lower your CE without running the risk of fouling your lazyjacks. The modern gaff rig is really under-appreciated. Offers a lot of(easy) sail adjustments without giving up as much windward performance as some believe ( as you discovered). Catboats rule!!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Bilge Rat

is Gerry/Com Pac now selling foiled rudders for the Sun Cat?  I thought the only place to buy one was Ruddercraft
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

patfurr

Craig, good idea on just easing the peak halyard to spill some air.  I will try that.  and to Bilge Rat, yes contact Gerry directly to let him know your needs.  I will be ordering mine without the hold down bar for Christmas. 
Impulse III

Bilge Rat

Does anyone know how Gerry's price on the foiled rudder is compared to Ruddercraft?  They are quite expensive at Ruddercraft.
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

patfurr

He quoted me $442 plus S&H for the foiled rudder blade sans the hold down bar. 
Impulse III

jdklaser

Telltale the sail and try sailing by the lee.  Reverse the flow over the sail.  Very stable. 

DanM

I've been interested to read references to a hold-down bar on a SunCat with a Ruddercraft foiled rudder. My SunCat came with one of these rudders and I was considering a hold-down bar for two functions:
- I have never been able to raise the rudder fully by pulling the up haul line that's mounted on the tiller. I know there is a little dance that is recommended, but it doesn't work for me on this boat.  I always have to make an awkward reach back to pull the rudder up the last of the way by hand.
  -Also, it gets pretty weedy on some parts of our lake and in the mooring field, so the rudder often kicks up or gets stuck or has to be cleared of lake salad, so it has to get pushed back down now and then. The gas cylinder seems to do a good job of pushing the rudder gently down in clear water, but sometimes, especially when it's a little weedy, I need to push it down the last few inches by hand, which is even more awkward than pulling it up.
  I could maybe solve the first problem with an extra uphaul line, but since, as they say, you can't push a rope, it doesn't help with the second issue.
   So does Gerry sell a hold-down bar that  can be added to the  rudder, and would that work for this situation? Are there any images around showing that hold down bar in this application?
   Thanks in advance for any advice. Dan

Potcake boy

Patfurr,

By raising the centerboard part way, you would move the center of lateral resistance aft and the boat would balance better in heavier wind. One problem with a cat boat  compared to a sloop is that when you ease the sheet, as in a reach, you are moving the entire center of effort outboard much farther than a standard sloop rig. Notice how much longer the boom is on your cat compared to a comparable size sloop rig. The result is that the center of effort is so far to one side that it is hard to overcome in heavy wind, it turns the boat in the opposite direction. A foiled rudder will help, but if your sail is old and blown out, there is little you can do to correct this problem. Dacron sails rarely deteriorate visibly before they are stretched too much to perform well. Unless your sail is on the newer side, it would probably be worth considering replacing it. You may be amazed at the improvement in performance a new sail can make. I bought the new sail for my Suncat from Dirk at National Sails. Well made sail with a good fit, made all the difference for a well-behaved cat.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water