a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

APALACHICOLA SAILING

Started by DaleM, August 29, 2016, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaleM

Ok fellow sailors, anyone have any information or feedback on launching and sailing near Apalachicola, Fla?
Thanks!
If not now..When?

Potcake boy

Haven't had the pleasure of a visit there, but I think you will find   activecaptain.com   very informative. I have been a member for a while and always consult  the site for local knowledge. Looks like a beautiful place to go sailing, and I've heard much praise of the panhandle waters. Enjoy
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

brackish

Well you know how I feel about it.  Drive another 25 miles or so and sail out of Port St. Joe or Mexico beach.:)

JBC

Haven't sailed there but can vouch for the Water Street Hotel Marina. Slips next to the hotel.  There was a Suncat there (I think...it had a cover) when we stayed last year.  Great (very spacious) hotel rooms with good rates! 

Jett

DaleM

If not now..When?

hoddinr

I investigated the Apalachicola City Marina a few (8?) years ago, and the town was very receptive to visitors.  Plenty of places to store your vehicle and trailer, and a good ramp, as I recall.

Go for it, and let us know how it works out for you.

Ron Hoddinott
SunCat Nomad

DaleM

Thanks Ron.  I'll check tide charts and check it out.  I have received positive feedback on Pt.St.Joe bay.  Safe for smaller boats like mine and lodging near the marina.  Looking forward to some consistent wind.  The lakes in my area are very low this summer due to the lack of rain.  It's been a dry sailing season in middle Georgia.
Thanks again,
Dale
If not now..When?

DaleM

Just returned from  a week of sailing in Pt.St.Joe, Fla. Stayed  across the street from City Park Launch, at the Port Inn. Excellent accommodations and very convienient to be able to park boat and trailer at the Inn. Easy launch and absolutely wonderful sailing in the bay. Winds were consistently 10 knots. I can't imagine any better conditions! Thanks to the feedback recommending the area for my Compac 16!  I'll return in Dec.  The drive from Macon ,Ga. took 4 hours. The Compac performed so well! 
Fair winds!
If not now..When?

brackish

Catch any of the music at the Thirsty Goat during the songwriters festival?  We were in Mexico Beach from Monday through Friday morning.  Fished crooked island/wild goose bay area.  Ate dinner Thursday evening at the Sunset Grill in Port St. Joe.  We probably passed in the night a few times.  Glad you had a good time.  Port St Joe has really gotten nice since the paper plant has been removed hasn't it?

DaleM

Sorry we missed you.  I did meet a few of the songwriters.  It was going to be a very busy weekend so I headed north.  Can't say enough about the great conditions for sailing in St. Joe Bay.  It was simply wonderful.  The weather was great and with so many nice places to find seafood nearby made it a great visit. Spent one full day in Apalachicola walking the streets and sampling the seafood....wow!
So, I'm planning a trip back in Jan. with the Compac 16.  I'll stay at the Port Inn again.  Can't beat it for convenience and comfort.  I like the free boat parking at the inn!
Well, maybe we will catch you next time on the gulf.
Dale
If not now..When?

49captain

I don't know if anyone is still monitoring this thread but, if you are, we live in Apalachicola.  We have a Horizon Day Cat at a slip in the marina and sail regularly.  If anyone comes to Apalachicola or is considering doing so drop me a note here.  We'll be happy to give you local knowledge over a beer, go sailing, and/or show you the sights.  We have a great sailing venue here.
Ron