a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Air in fuel feed

Started by Allure2sail, August 21, 2016, 09:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allure2sail

Still not able to keep the engine running. I bleed out the fuel system at the injector pump until no more air comes out. Engine starts up fine. After running a few minutes very tiny bubbles start appearing in the bowl of the racor water separator and then the engine dies (obviously due to air in the system once again). This scenario has been repeated dozens of times.
Things I have done so far....
Fuel tank taken out and thoroughly cleaned.
Eliminated screen in pickup tube.
Pickup tube in tank cleaned with a rifle bore cleaning brush.
90 degree elbow clear.
Fuel pickup tube tightened into 90 degree fitting elbow.
Fuel shut off eliminated and replaced with a straight fitting (thought the seal for the ball valve might be worn out). Will replace with new fuel shut off.
Fuel shutoff now replaced.
Hose to inlet of racor replaced and double clamped inlet and outlet.
New hoses to facet lift pump, new fitting 90 degree facing forward towards racor and double clamped. New fitting and fuel line to filter on engine and double clamped.
Facet lift pump is the newer electronic version recommended by Moyer Marine.
All fuel lines replaced with 5/16" marine grade.
Have tried another filter element in racor and no difference.
Questions: Has anyone had the casting for the racor water separator get porous?
Has anyone had a facet lift pump that let air into the fuel system?
Going to replace the racor water separator unit a with new one (getting desperate).
Replaced racor with a new bigger unit.
May try another "FACT" lift pump (have two spares (long story).
May even try temporarily by passing the racor setup to see if it cures the problem.
RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS.....AND SAILING SEASON PASSING ME BY AT THE DOCK !!!!
ANY IDEAS OUT THERE?
Thanks in advance.
Bruce
S/V Allure
PS Bypassed the racor and motor ran for an hour fine but now starting to act up again even without the racor in line.
Starting to think that the lift pump is dying a slow death.

deisher6

Dagnit Bruce:
I would try the bypass Racor filter idea first, then the replacement fuel pump.
Could there be an air leak at the top of the tank pick up tube.  I cannot recall f there was a gasket or O ring there.

BTW I checked out the RPM last time out.  First time I checked I could get 3000 rpm, about 5.8-6.0 knots.  I checked it again at the end of the cruise and could only get 2700 rpm.  It was not blowing black smoke either time so I may reset the linkage to allow more travel.  The reduction in rpm is interesting, will check out the last time that I changed filters.

I too replaced the Racor filter and fuel pump in my fuel endeavors.

Good Luck!

regards charlie

Allure2sail

Hi Charlie:
I by passed the racor and the engine ran just fine. So at least I know where the problem is. Some of these racors are plumed funny. This model has straight pipe thread in the casting body, into that they screw in a straight thread fitting with a flange on it that looks like a washer but it has a small o'ring under the washer that fits into a small counterbore at the beginning of the thread in the casting. I believe that inside of that is NPT (tapered) thread. Maybe one of the o'rings are compromised, who knows. I just gave up and ordered the next larger racor water separator/filter unit. I did make sure it was threaded with standard NPT thread (in and out) so I can use standard fuel fittings. This one has a little pump button on the top for priming the system after fuel filter changes. I also ordered a new shutoff valve for the tank that takes 5/16 fuel line so I could get rid of the mickey mouse 1/4" to 5/16 adapter that I had to make up. That way the system is all the same size fuel line. I should be all set after that.
Thanks for your reply....it's been a two week battle....but I FINALLY WON !!
Bruce
S/V Allure
P.S Looking at a Catalina 310 this weekend.

Allure2sail

Hi Charlie:
Racor 245R10 Diesel Fuel Filter/Water Separator is what I got coming for the weekend.
Bruce
P.S. Also got the vacuum gage setup for it.