a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Speed

Started by Jeff, August 18, 2016, 01:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Hey HC skippers, I'm curious what sort of boat speed you have been able to reach for different points of sail and wind speed. For us in moderate wind (5-8kn) we get about average 2kn upwind close hauled and downwind broad reach average 3kn. In a 12-15kn wind on a run we reached 6kn. Jeff

Craig

That's about what I get on average although I think of 5kn as "light". Above 8 kn the boat moves nicely in that 3-5 range depending on the point of sail.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Vipersdad

Quote from: Craig on August 18, 2016, 09:31:53 AM
That's about what I get on average although I think of 5kn as "light". Above 8 kn the boat moves nicely in that 3-5 range depending on the point of sail.

Last Sunday I was in 4-8 knots of wind and was recording 3.2 to 4.3 knots on a close reach with my main and genoa.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Subsailor637

Sorry, my HC doesn't have a Genoa
2013 ComPac Horizon Cat DOLPHIN
Punta Gorda FL

rbh1515

Was just out this evening, and was going 4.7 to 5.0 knots in 10 knots of wind on a close reach with the centerboard up in my HDC.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Jeff

Thats good. Are the HDC a little faster than HC? Or should they be the same? We have a fair amount of gear on board. The sail could be trimmed a little as well... Jeff

rbh1515

Not sure if the HDC is faster than a HC.  It is listed as the same displacement, but without all the extra cabin and with no inboard engine, the HDC has to be a lot lighter.  Plus my Torqeedo only weighs 30#.  I was out sailing in moderate winds last year at the same time as my neighbor with a HC, and I sailed right past him, but be had about 5 or 6 people on his boat, and his sail was reefed.  I had 2 on the boat and full sail.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End