a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Check the mast hinge assembly

Started by alsantini, August 09, 2016, 09:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Just a suggestion here...  On the way home from Carlyle Lake, Illinois, I was looking in the left mirror and noticed that the port shroud was loose.  Next exit I realized that one of the tabs that holds the mast crutch had broken off.  I bungeed the mast into position so that the weight was still on the one tab.  Yesterday I got it welded and the welder noticed a small crack on the other tab.   After welding it, it is now stronger than new.  He welded along both sides of the tabs whereas from the factory it is only the outer edge that is welded.   I figure my boat has more miles on it than most with the mast bouncing along putting pressure through the crutch into the 2 tabs.  I will also bungee from the mast to the rail to keep it centered from now on for long distances.  Welder was impressed with the overall quality of the lower hinge.  FYI only.   Al

Eagleye

Thanks Al,
I checked mine and all is good.
I also put a strap across the mast to hold it down and keep the weight even when trailering.

-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

alsantini

Put the repaired hinge back on last night and launched today.  Al is perfect.  I think the mast rotates counterclockwise when viewed form the back, while driving.  As I recall the mast was always positioned in the manner.  This would put a strain on the port side tang and I suspect that is why it cracked off - but not totally sure....
Before I drove to the Lake today, I wrapped a bungee around both of the ends of the spreaders connecting it to the rail.  I put a few wraps around each end until I had a little tension on the bungee.  The mast rode perfectly centered - so I will do this each time I trailer.
She is floating in Pistakee and ready for sailing....
Sail On.    Al

waterwheels

Is this tab on the mast stub, which also is where the "safety pin" goes when the mast up is raised?

My boat is at the dock but will check on this too.

On another "safety related note; While waiting for a ride to work the other day I was looking at my trailer and notice the inside of one of my tires is deteriorated. I never would have noticed it with the boat on the trailer. 

alsantini

Correct it is the tab on the mast hinge that the safety pin goes through.  I will make you a hell of a deal on tires and wheels assuming you have the 10 tires?  I have a set on galvanized rims in great shape for the cost of shipping - but only to an Eclipse owner!

waterwheels

Do you have my email home email Al?

Don

alsantini

No Don, I do not have it.  You can PM me through this site?