Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How much HP For a 19

Started by pelican, November 15, 2006, 07:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pelican

I have always used a 6hp on my C19 but I have a long shaft 9.9 Evinrude
that has been sitting. I would like to get a new water pump and a general service performed on the motor and use it on the C19.

Do any of you use a 9.9 on your 19 and has it worked out well ? Thanks

crbakdesign

I have a 5 hp on my 19, which will push her easily to her theoretical max hull speed of 5.6 knts.  The only drawback with anything larger is the weight on the transum.  I have a pivoting motor mount, which lowers my short shaft midway when I'm in the cockpit.  Unfortunately when I go forward, especially to the bow, on a windy day, the prop can easily free wheel, not something I like to hear and can damage the outboard.  I had a older 6 hp on my CP16 which was definately too much for that boat.

Johann

Hello there;

I initially started with a 6 HP Evinrude shortshaft, but I could barely keep the cooling water intake below the surface of the water as we were motoring along in moderate chop, so I had to change motors. I'm presently using a 2-stroke 7.5 HP Johnson Sailmaster (25" shaft) and the weight isn't a problem, that I could see. The main issue that can affect a HP vs weight decision is whether one were choosing between a 2-stroke vs a 4-stroke motor. A 4-stroke outboard is somewhat heavier than the 2-stroke and as such, a smaller HP 4-stroke motor will weigh as much as a higher HP 2-stroke motor.

For our situation, the 7.5 is 1.5 HP more than the recommended 6 HP from Com-Pac for a CP-19, but I was very thankful for the extra power from our Sailmaster when motoring around and having a strong wind off the beam or a strong cross current. Since this motor has a three-blade prop with a low pitch for torque and it is sizeable, I found I only had to set the throttle about half way to get the boat moving at a respectable speed, but without the motor sounding like an angry mosquito. And there were times when I needed a burst from the motor to overcome the wind, so it was nice to have more capacity on tap.

To ensure the transom could handle the additional 15 pounds of the 7.5 longshaft, I used large diameter washers (1.5" fender washers) on the inside that I doubled up, when reinstalling the motor mount back onto the transom.

After a shakedown cruise which included trailering the boat with the motor still on the mount, to and from the ramp, the mounting system still looks good inside and outside the boat.

Johann.

Udara Tanda (Indonesian for Air Sign)

1982 CP-19 #042

Tampa, Florida

pelican

Crbak , Johann,

My 6 is a short shaft and comes out of the water as soon as my 220lbs moves forward. It works but I don't want to overheat it and ruin the motor.

I may add some larger washers and some backing to hold the extra weight of the 9.9 and give it a try.

One of the gentleman at our local boat yard said he put a 10 on a C19 and the boat would exceed hull speed and, would get the boat in quick when faced with these fast forming Florida summer storms. I had to ask and get a couple more opinions before spending the money to get my 9.9 ready. Thanks again !

mgoller

Sounds good.  My old Johnson 6hp longshaft is a 1973 seahorse.  It jams along good.  This fall I was motoring straight into white caps and spray at hull speed at 3/4 throttle.  It proved to me that the 6 is plenty.  In your situation you have a shortshaft that isn't doing it, and a 9hp so what the heck.  The only drawback is possibly the look of a larger motor and perhaps the hefting of that beast up on its mount.  It will definitely get you out of trouble should you want to head in in a hurry. 

tsaiapex

Do any of you use a 9.9 on your 19 and has it worked out well ? Thanks

I think 9.9 HP is bit large for CP19.  I have a Yamaha 6 and is plenty powerful for North Carolina coastal water.  I once motored into 30 knts. wind against 5' sea and it was the only time I had to throttle it all the way up.

The 9.9 had to be over 60 lbs?  Just imaging what will the excess weight at the stern do to the boat trim and the mast rake?

Jeff Tsai
CP19, Mary Grace
Apex, NC

pelican

The motor weight, trim etc: was a concern, but then I thought about my 220 lbs sitting back there. That alone could be an issue if I was looking for perfect trim. The 9.9 is probably is overkill but I may experiment with it till I find a 6 long shaft.

And by the way, My 6 is a 1978 and my 9.9 is a 1968, Both Evinrudes. I use a 1954 johnson 5 horse on a 12 foot john boat. Thanks for the replies

Good Sailing

pelican

oops , the 9.9 is a 9.5 sport twin...( old age )  anyway I have read some post in regards to using old motors.
     I may be partial, but I prefer the older motors and boats over many of the newer if they are maintained.

Good sailing

Craig Weis

She pushed by a 5 hp 2 stroke. Here is a little secrete about the motor mount...
look at my pictures and you will see a mount where the mounting block [black plastic] is 2 inches astern and 2 inches down. This put the short shaft further in the water and allows a little bit more room for my pull starting jerk and more comfort for my hand when controlling the motor. skip.