a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Installing a ladder or motor mount

Started by Scott_S, June 02, 2016, 09:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott_S

Has anyone added a motor mount or transom ladder to their Picnic Cat? I assume the factory installs these before attaching the deck to the hull.  I am shopping for a picnic cat and if it does not have a ladder or motor mount, how hard would it be to add one. Can you crawl under the seat and reach up into the transom to position backup plate and nuts? How much space is there in the transom between the hull and the rear of the cockpit? Would I have to cut access holes in the cockpit to install the backup  plate and the nuts?

Thanks.
'83 Com-Pac 16, Sunfish, Com-Pac Picnic Cat, '96 Com-Pac 16CB Raven

bruce

Com-Pac usually installs a 6" screw-out deck plate in the cockpit, under the teak seat, to access the transom. I'd be surprised if the boat you're considering doesn't have one. I remounted my adjustable motor mount working through the deck plate. It wasn't easy, but it was doable. Others have removed the deck plate trim ring so they had a bigger hole to work through. I know of at least two owners who removed the horn that the tiller passes through. That gives great access, at additional work of course. If I were to do it again, I'd consider installing a larger deck plate so future access was easier. Lots going on back there.

The transom is cored with plywood, Com-Pac just used washers in the installation of my ladder, rudder, and motor mount. I've had no problems, and I haven't heard of any failures. Bed any fasteners properly, of course.

Bruce

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Scott_S

Great info with good detail. Thanks for your help.

Happy Sailing.
'83 Com-Pac 16, Sunfish, Com-Pac Picnic Cat, '96 Com-Pac 16CB Raven

bruce

Here's a couple of photos I intended to attach yesterday, but the picture poster was busted. It's reportedly fixed so I'll give it a try.

The first is the deck plate. The second is the stbd cockpit drain tube, and bilge drain, shot through the deck plate opening. These have leaked, occasionally. Another reason to have access.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI