- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New procedure for adding Photos: Attaching Photos to your posts

Started by Tim Gardner, May 23, 2016, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Tom,

I can answer this.

When you attach photos on this forum, you would upload it from your computer to the server that runs the forum. You would see a window pop with "My Computer" (which is indeed YOUR computer) and you would have to click on the right folder and file name that represents the picture you want to upload. 

At that point, it is stored on the forum for others to either look at or download.   In other words, once you attach the picture ( don't see that you have actually done that?),  they are not being pulled by your computer any longer.  That only occurs once when you upload it. 

After the picture has been uploaded, when someone, or you, click on the image itself once it was been posted, it should expand and "blow up" so to speak for easier viewing of the picture.

When someone, or you, click on the paperclip or the blue image file named (ending in .jpg), it DOWNLOADS the picture from the forum to your computer (or whoever's computer clicked it).  It should appear in "My Downloads" (for Windows) or "Downloads" on a MAC (or whatever folder you have designated to store files that are downloaded from the internet). Or it might bring up a window that asks you where you want to download it to, depending on your windows version and how it was setup. 

The act of clicking on the paperwork, or the filename.jpg (AFTER it was uploaded already)  is so you can save someone else's picture on your computer.  Again, you are pulling the picture from the forum at that point.  So is everyone else. 

You are in NO DANGER to anyone accessing your computer.   Think of it like you uploaded it to the cloud and others are pulling it from the cloud.

Let me know if you have any questions.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tim Gardner

Thanks Salty, I dozed off for a bit before I could answer.????
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Tom L.

Hi Tim,

I don't know but maybe the paper clip is asking me if I want to add the posted photo to my PC?  Do you see the paperclip?  There are several but if you want to test I know the photo posted by Ron Hoddinot has a paperclip on my PC.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Salty19

Tom,

Yes, like I said earlier,  if you press the paperclip, it will want to download the picture from this forum TO your computer. If you don't want the picture, don't press the paperclip. 

Or just click the picture itself to enlarge.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

pgnyc

hello,

is there a way to replace a picture in a post ?  if i click modify , it seems to be only for the text.

thx for this wonderful site by the way .

Pascal

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

pgnyc

Quote from: Tim Gardner on June 18, 2017, 02:44:43 PM
Which post is it? I think I can help.

TG

Hi Tim,

it's in my post "It's here"
it was my first post with picture and i reduced the wrong way on my computer, it's big and the resolution is bad !!
i redid the process and now i have a good resolution so i wanted to put the new  picture.

Pascal. 

Tim Gardner

Okay, The pic is gone, The pic is gone!

Try resizing and re submitting.

TG

ameysails

doing an APPLE try
let's see whether we can see it

am/ey
Slainte'
88   PI'd PI'pr

H2operator

I'll try this again when I have some time, I am curious though why it's so hard to post photos here, is it a money thing? I know that other group sites have paying subscribers for added benefits such as using classifieds. I realize that this group may be too small to make that work but I'd pay a reasonable fee to easily post photos. I think the popularity of the Facebook page is directly due to the ease of posting photos. By the way, I would like to thanks everyone who has managed to post photos in the past, it was a major help when I was doing my foiled rudder project!
Thanks, Lance

H2operator

photo test

H2operator

Quote from: H2operator on November 20, 2018, 02:37:17 PM
photo test
That was weird, I tried to post the same way last time and nothing! Ok I'll try it on an actual post!

johnno

Hello.  I have tried many times to add a photo to a post, (Windows 10, Firefox and Edge) followed all instructions, but it won't post. Photo is 216kb, max dimension less than 800 pixels. Edge gives me the message 'CYPOA can't handle this request', and Firefox just shows a white screen after I press 'post'. Anyone else having any issues? Thanks.

bruce

I just posted a photo in the Testing forum using an old version of Safari and Mac OS X 10.11.6. I see it as 202 kb, largest dimension 700 pixels, the forum sees it as 145 kb. Seemed to work OK.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=12321.0
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

johnno

Thank you Bruce. I kept to the Forum suggestion of 250kb and less than 800 pixels. I'll try less than 200kb and less than 700 pixels and see if I have any luck.