a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

centerboard pennnant tube water intrusion

Started by ghsfusioneer, April 23, 2016, 06:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghsfusioneer

As the new owner of a 2007 Suncat, I took her out yesterday for the first time.  Perfect day - 70 degrees, wind 10-12kts , 2 foot seas, no clouds.  She sailed wonderfully, but I noticed the water gusher (well, a small streamlet) from the centerboard pennant hole - especially while doing over 5kts.   My first reaction was "OMG, am I sinking?"  But the water was draining out through the cockpit drains just fine, and the floorboards hid most of the stream.  I did some research on this forum and found it has been a known issue for years  and there are various solutions - so I thank you Suncat owners that have blazed the trail.   I will probably raise the cleat by another inch or so, add the rubber grommet, and ignore the water that still makes it through.  Comments? Thanks - fusioneer

Craig

Not really an "issue". Just hydrodynamics and the Bernoulli principle. In short don't worry about it. Small amount of water, drains out, no problem. Just make sure the tube is caulked at the deck and forget it.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

ghsfusioneer

LaGatta

So if I do not see water out the  centerboard pennant hole, it means that (1) still learning to sail my new to me old Sun Cat, I'm not going quickly enough, or (2) there is something wrong with the tube.  Right?

LaGatta, SC

Tom L.

one of the changes to help minimize the water coming up the tube is to add a block that raises the tube. Some people have added that block and extended the tube. Maybe the P.O. did that. The standard is a 3/4" thick teak block.

If you run the motor and get the speed up over 5 knots then sit toward the aft end of the cockpit you will most likely have some water come up the tube.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Tom L.

One other thought. Make sure the tube is still connected and sealed to the top of the trunk. Worst case it is not connected to the trunk and water would flow directly into the bilge from the top of the CB trunk. I assume your CB pendant is working?

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Tom L.

ghsfusioneer

Just to wrap it up, I made a 1" high plastic block to fit under the pennant cleat, with a hole for the pennant that is only slightly larger than the pennant line diameter.  Only a few drops of water came in (and immediately drained) when sailing 5+ kts.  I now look at the water intrusion as an indicator that the boat is sailing well.  I consider this a success!