a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Chart plotter mount?

Started by alsantini, April 05, 2016, 10:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Anyone use a swing out mount for a chart plotter?  I would like to mount my new Garmin 44dv on a swing out arm mounted in the cabin.   Sail on.   Al

BruceW

I have a swing out mount that is made of wood; it is for my fishfinder depth gauge, but seems like it would work for a chartplotter also, maybe some day.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

lkm

I'm planning on getting a new unit next month.
Currently there is a compass mounted on a wood board that rests in the companion hatch board area or in between the cockpit seats, so was going to try to fashion something like that, but would be interested in alternative designs.
I'm also curious about where/how folks are mounting the transducer if its not a in hull.  It looks like a lot of units have a transom mount for the newer/fancier transducers. I can imagine a couple of spots to do this, but pictures would be helpful, and if anyone has had issues with readings when on a heel.
2005 Eclipse #20 - Figaro

Mike K

Last fall I got a Raymarine Dragonfly 5Pro GPS with Navionics+ on it.  Since it has a sonar (depth) transducer attached to it, and I want to be able to move it between my 2 sailboats or even a rented sailboat, I build a complicated free standing unit out of wood complete with it's own little 12V battery.

I know you don't want/need to go that complicated route, but I did want to recommend looking at the RAM mounts website.  I cobbled together different pieces to get a suction cup depth finder transducer mount that hopefully prevents me from having to drill into the boat for a permanent transducer mount.

You can find a lot of stuff that may help out with articulating arms, suctions cups, etc.  If nothing else, it can keep you occupied for hours thinking about alternatives!  http://www.rammount.com/
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

alsantini

Here is the final.  Used a RAM Mount which turned out to be very nice.  Strong and easy install.  The liner in the Eclipse had plenty of room to mount it.  It swings out of the way, into the cabin so boards can be installed.  So far, I am very pleased.

Mike K

Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

alsantini

Gerry

Lots of folks have designed and built swing out mounts for dry storage and use.  Type swing out mount and enjoy.  This forum is the best source for projects.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

jim1440

Al,

Did your install require a In-Hull Transducer to be installed?  I might be getting a GPSMap 547 unit for by Bday. It is hard to determine what is needed to get it to work! Once I know what is needed hardware/wiring wise, then I'll check out all of the different mount options on the forum.

Thanks,

Jim
--------------------------------------------
Belle Eire - CP 19/3 #494
Coniston - CP Picnic Cat #184

Vipersdad

Quote from: jim1440 on July 15, 2016, 03:00:41 PM
Al,

Did your install require a In-Hull Transducer to be installed?  I might be getting a GPSMap 547 unit for by Bday. It is hard to determine what is needed to get it to work! Once I know what is needed hardware/wiring wise, then I'll check out all of the different mount options on the forum.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim: Check your PM's.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

cdflan

Used Majestic TV mount (took off one of the sections) to mount plotter and vhf (see Re: Swing Arm Mount for GPS posted Jan 12, 2015 @1:17PM).  Mounted the depth sounder transducer with epoxy inside hull adjacent keel and just aft of porta potti (had tested it first with removable soft bonding compund).  Everything works great.

alsantini

Jim.  The unit came with a transom mount that I have not used.  I bought a ladder mount but do not like it.  I contacted Garmin and they told me that the transducer that comes with the 44dv is only useable if submersed under water.  To be used inside the hull it will require a different transducer.  Once home from CLR, I will investigate it more, hopefully trading in the current one for the one I want.  More info posted later.

Al