a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

water tank meter

Started by Tney88, April 01, 2016, 12:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tney88

So when we do our annual two-week cruise in the San Juan and Gulf Islands, the admiral always stresses over how much fresh water we have left in the tank.  Installing a water level gauge in the water tank seemed overly complicated.  So simple solution:  I bought an inexpensive water meter (heavy brass construction, designed for installation between your house and the water main).  I mounted it on the bulkhead in the port lazarette, and with some reducing brass fittings spliced it into the 1/2" plastic lines just downstream of the water pump.  It reads in 1/10's of a gallon.  So we can just log the meter reading each time we fill, and easily calculate how much water we've used out of a full tank.  I think I will try to make a habit of recording the meter reading daily in the log book, and then we can get an average daily usage figure for future trip planning.  The meter was around $50, and I may have spent another $30 in brass fittings to install it.

Terry Ney
2004 CP-27 "Paradiso"
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

frank

Great idea!

Seems simple and accurate.

Good thinking!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Tney88

No reason one like that wouldn't work, and unlike mine it has a "trip meter" function.  The one I got will probably last longer, but you can buy about 4 of these for what mine cost.

Terry Ney
CP 27 "Paradiso"
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR