a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Buying first Compac Sun Cat

Started by mickey24, March 27, 2016, 08:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickey24

I am new to the forum and live in New Jersey, and just started looking to purchase either a Sun Cat or a Picnic Cat and found this group.  I looked at a 2002 Sun Cat yesterday that seemed in good condition, just a little dirty.  Are there anything specific problem areas I should be looking for in an older Sun Cat or Picnic Cat.  Does $11,000 seem like a fair price with a good trailer and working outboard. 

Thanks
Marty

Potcake boy

Marty,

Considering the following, it would be inappropriate for me to provide input on this boat. I am instead responding to let you know that a Suncat of the same vintage owned by me and a partner will be for sale sometime in May. It has a dark blue hull, a trailer, 4hp Yamaha, bimini, cockpit grate,new AGM battery with deck mounted solar panel, and a new sail. Everything works very well and is in pretty good shape. Haven't settled on a price yet, but it will certainly be competitive and of course no broker fees will be included.

You may contact me at 941.876.0422 if interested and I'll advise you when it is available.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Craig

Welcome to the forum Mickey! Lots of good info here. Can't comment on that particular boat but suspect 11k is at the high end. Age/condition of motor and sail would be the first area to check. Check for signs of leakage around the ports and deck fittings. Fittings are a pretty easy fix, ports not so easy. Check the under-seat lockers. Water tends to collect there. If the mast and sail track are not well caulked, water can collect in the forward locker. Again an easy fix. So long as there is no wood deterioration. Is there much crazing of gelcoat? Check the boom gallows for excessive movement. Likewise the motor mount.  Check rudder pintles and gudgeons(rudder hinges) for play. May need new bushings especially in a 14 yr old boat. How well is she outfitted? (anchor, PFDs ,radio. depth finder,cushions, etc. Suncats are a pretty robust little boats and if well maintained will last a long time which is one reason they hold their resale value so well. Good luck with your quest. You will love the Suncat! Well suited to shallow NJ waters, especially in the back bays and creeks.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Ferd Johns

I suggest you do an exhaustive check of the s.s. centerboard trunk and s.s. centerboard, especially if the boat has been moored for long periods in salt water. Stainless steel does not particularly like to be constantly submerged (oxygen-deprived) in salt water. This can be much more of a problem if the difficult-to-access centerboard zincs are not replaced regularly. Later models enclose the s.s. centerboard in a fiberglass trunk, rather than the s.s. trunk assembly used on earlier boats, but the modular s.s. board assembly is still bolted through the bottom of the boat with s.s. machine screws and nuts, bedded in 5200. It is unlikely there would be any issues if the boat has been trailersailed rather than primarily moored. Good maintenance and preventive care can avoid these issues, and Gerry at the factory is very helpful in helping you avoid/mitigate/correct any issues. Just look very, very carefully at the trunk and fasteners from under the boat and in the bilges in cockpit and cabin.

Great little boats. Good luck.

Ferd

Dave

Check the classified section of the forum.  I'm selling my 2010 Sunday Cat.  It's now on the hard in Mantoloking. Outboard, but no trailer

Bob23

Marty:
  I can't really help but I also live in the Garden State! Where are you? I'm in southern Ocean County and sail on Barnegat Bay.
Bob23

mickey24

Thanks for all the good information.  I am on the Shrewsbury River not far from Sandy Hook.

Tom L.

I have a 2001 Sun Cat that is for sale. It is in central Florida. I can't post pictures here but if you give me an e-mail address I can send them too you. My asking price is $9700. It has a 5 Hp  4 stroke nissan motor that sips fuel and is very reliable. The hull is white and the deck is light tan. These colors do not fade like the darker colors and look good today. 

The galvanized trailer has a new axle and galv. wheels and tires that are about 18 Months old. New trailer lights also.

The boat has a teak bowl sprite with anchor roller. It has a mainsail cover and a Bimini. The boat is wired for running lights and cabin lights. The sounder is a hawkeye unit. The Battery is a jump start battery that has a built in charger. Is very light and can be charged in the boat or taken home to recharge. It lasts for months and weighs about 15 pounds. The main is older but in good shape. Life jackets, anchor and normal safety gear is included. I have the mast tender plus system. The mast can be raised and lowered while standing in the cockpit.

If your interested give me a call at 352 653 1368.

BTW I love these Cat boats they are so easy from trailer to water in minutes. Sailing is just plain perfect with just a main sheet to deal with. Beating to windward is effortless.  I will be replacing this boat with a Horizon Cat.

Tom Lincoln
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Tom L.

I forgot to mention, this boat has always been dry sailed. No bottom paint to deal with and the hull is clean as a whistle as the centerboard and trunk. We trailer sail the boat all over central Florida's lakes and coast.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Bob23

Marty:
   I bought my 23 from a lawyer who kept in on the Navesink River. Kinda in your neck of the woods.
Bob23

tmw

Bob 23, was the conversation like:

Bob23:  Does it float?
NJ layer:  yeah, it's Navesink.
Bob23:  Okay, I'm take it.

Bob23

Hahahahaha!!!! That's great!!!!!

tingraham

Hey Marty! 

I'm new to the board and also live in NJ, Monmouth County. Little Silver to be exact. Saw the CL post for that Suncat in Allenhurst. How was it?  Wanting a Suncat as well for Shrewsbury, Navesink, and Raritan Bay waters.

Tom

Bob23

Tom: Welcome! You're not far from me! Ocean County, exit 63 (you know us NJ guys- always what exit on the GSP) and I sail on the Barnegat Bay. When you find you Suncat, why not trailer down to the Barnegat Bay Bash? Love to meet up with another NJ Compac-o-naut!
Bob23 and Koinonia, a 1985 23/2, Surf City, NJ

mickey24

Hey Tom,

I did take a look at the boat in Allenhurst. It looked to be in good shape.  It is sitting on a trailer and from the replies in order to really give the centerboard trunk area a good inspection it would need to come off the trailer.  Let me know if you look at it or find one.

Marty