a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Back to the fender issue

Started by alsantini, March 22, 2016, 09:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Well, the trip down to Florida in late December was uneventful until in Georgia I noticed that in the rear view mirror, the right side trailer fender seemed to be moving around a bit.  Sure enough, another bracket had broken.  I made a new bracket similar to the one I made during the summer.  Last week the trip home resulted in 2 fender brackets turning to toast.  Both of the ones I had made cracked (one on each side).  So, I am officially giving up on the stock fenders. They are just too heavy and the additional vibration from the high pressure 10 inch tires causes them to eventually crack over long distance.  Each bracket has withstood at least a 1000 miles of driving before it throws in the towel.  Here is the question for those of you with the newer style aluminum fenders.  What is the distance between the brackets?  Does it appear that the fenders can be used with larger than the 10 inch stock tires?  Also, if you could send me a picture taken straight on showing some of the trailer, the tire and fender, I can figure whether the newer style fenders will work for me.  Thanks.  If you want to send me the pic directly use:  alsantini@comcast.net   I am currently looking at replacement plastic fenders or aluminum ones.    Sail on....  Al

Potcake boy

Alsantini,

I would recommend plastic as aluminum and steel hate each other and even more so when submerged in salt water.

Hopefully the trip to Florida was worth a couple of fender brackets, and hopefully you didn't need to seek trailer repairs in the Keys.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

alsantini

Yes Ron, the fenders were worth the sailing.  Sailed 19 times, I think which is pretty good for 10 weeks.  The plastic ones I am looking at have a 43 inch distance from end to end.  I have not measured the available distance since the trailer is in storage 75 miles from here but I think the 43 inches would allow the brackets to clear the spring mounts.  They are for 13-14 inch tires and would allow me to upgrade to larger tires next time I am in need or replacements.  The extra 3 inches of height could give me some problems at the Uncle Henry's ramp in Boca Grande but I think only there.  Other Florida ramps that I use in Venice and Port Charlotte would not be an issue.