a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Any/All Info re: CP25s

Started by atrometer, October 23, 2006, 01:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrometer

Am looking at buying a CP25 (1995).  I would like to find out the Good, the Bad, the Ugly about CP25s BEFORE buying one - HELP

PWSII

Ours is a relatively no-frills CP25 with a 9.8hp electric start outboard, roller furling jib, and Edson wheel.  We got our '04 used if you can believe that.  To buy new, I would probably go with the tiller and instead use my coin collection on a dodger.  We've had the boat about 4 months and have sailed her about 10 times in varying conditions.  Under full sail (100% jib) and in about 10-15 knots she is well balanced and handles/performs extremely well.  Now, in keeping with your format...

The Good and why we bought her...
• Shallow draft – translates into more confident sailing in our shallow cruising grounds of Clear Lake and Galveston Bay; it also equates to better slip rates at our marina
• The keel/ballast is much more substantial then I originally thought it would be.  I have found that she takes the chops and points to the wind pretty good, though you'll never see me dueling with a J-boat for the next buoy.
• Enough accommodations and comfort for a weekend on the water
• Flexibility (w/ trailer) to take the boat with us if we ever have to (hurricane) or want to (perfect size for an inland lake)
• Reputation for quality and traditional looks (love the bowsprit)
• Plenty of storage, especially in cockpit locker
• No inboard = no thru-hulls below the waterline and peace of mind.
• Roomy cockpit, especially with the stern-rail seats.

Before proceeding to The Bad, let me just say that we did not purchase the CP25 to race or do any extended cruising in the Gulf.  Though the standing rigging would be plenty capable, you'd want some fairly cooperative weather to make the trip comfortable.  I believe she's a tad bit undersized for such an adventure.

The Bad
• Not a big fan of the "anchor well" (no hatch) and having to feed the line back through the little portal
• Will definitely upgrade the sheet clutches
• Seems the outboard engine bracket sits too low and therefore acts as a water scoop (drag) when there's numbers in the cockpit

The Ugly – nada.

We have plenty of upgrades on our list (marine head, instruments, VHF, spinnaker, cockpit speakers, 'rita machine) but overall we are very pleased with our little coastal cruiser and would not hesitate to buy again.  Good luck with your decision.

len100

I agree, I love my Com Pac 25:

The good:
Great construction and attention to detail
Outstanding support from the manufacturer
Excellent accommodations down below
Love the lines and overall design
Sails well on all points of sail (especially considering the draft)

The bad:
I personally will add a larger Genoa to my boat (only has the 100%)
Rope clutches should be upgraded

I highly recommend this boat.  You will not find a better all around boat in this size range.

Good luck.

Glenn Basore

Are you planning on towing this boat ?

This is a beauty how ever, when I looked at one at a recent boat show I was told
"she is tow able, but you need a full size truck and big v-8"

I think I was told she is right at 5000#

imjimmy7578

Quote from: atrometer on October 23, 2006, 01:04:56 PM
Am looking at buying a CP25 (1995).  I would like to find out the Good, the Bad, the Ugly about CP25s BEFORE buying one - HELP
[/quote

I have had a 1996 Compac 25 for about 7 years now. It is fully equipped with AC, new Doyle sails, 12 hp Westerbeke, Edson wheel steering, etc. I have sailed on Lake Erie with her the past 5 years and she is a delight - never fails to draw attention when I come into a marina.
She's not the fastest 25 footer you'll see but I'm comfortable in 20 knots and will put in a reef at 20+ to keep going. She's fat, stable and built like a tank. But what I like most is that she looks so damned "nautical"  - like she has stories to tell.