a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail Cover

Started by rogerschwake, December 28, 2015, 12:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

My boat is 12 years old now and I don't think the sail cover will make it trough another year. All the new larger boats have stack packs on there main sails. I haven't sailed on a boat with this set up, but it looks easier than getting a sail cover out and wrestling it on. Is my boat to small for this to work and would it affect the  sailing efficiency much. Just something I was wondering about waiting for the 10" of snow they have predicted for today.

ROGER

Craig

Actually the integrated sailcover/lazyjack system would be great on the Suncat! Not too small by any means. We have a Mack Pack system on Kailani. We chose the Mack Pack(Mack Sails)because the cover is not sewn to the sail as in the Stack Pack(Doyle Sails) and is open at the bottom for better ventilation. Would not go back to a conventional sailcover. The lazyjacks are integrated and with the Boomkicker, raising /lowering sail is about as easy as it gets! Mack Pack cover can be stowed with simple ties and does not affect efficiency at all when stowed. I am lazy, don't bother and have not noticed any significant difference in performance.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

rogerschwake

Thanks for your reply Craig. Sailcraft has a hour video on how to make a stack pack. Any job looks easy when someone else is doing it, hope it is this easy. The only problem is how to get around the gaff peak halyard when closing the cover up.

Craig

Not a problem. Just slack the peak halyard, pull it up against the mast and zip up the cover. The peak halyard makes an "L" shape under the cover. Zipper friction will hold everything parallel to the mast. A tie around the mast and halyards just above the cover is optional.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Tom L.

I was wondering how the stack pac covers work when trailing? The wind speed could be over 90 mph. 65 mph road speed and a potential head wind of 25 mph. When I trail my Sun Cat with a conventional sail cover I do cinch bungee cords every 3 feet or so. That works well to keep the cover from billowing up.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Joseph

To keep the sail cover snug when I trailer Sassy, I use a couple of 50 Ft. thin lines "Swedish furled" around it (one loop up, one loop down, etc., the kind of furl that takes a single pool to undo). It also keeps all lines, showds and forestay snugged against the sail.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365