News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Just installed Dri-Dek--only took 8 tiles!

Started by suznhenz, December 10, 2015, 02:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suznhenz

I just ordered Dri-Dek and received it only about 2 days later!! Today I made a paper pattern and cut out the Dri-Dek with my Fein Multi-master. I found that the half-round blade (which is, I believe, intended for sheet rock) worked great. I taped the pattern to the assembled tiles, then laid a carpenter's square along the edge of the pattern and cut the tile with the blade. I found I only needed 8 of the 12 squares (minimum order). I laid out a 2 X 4 grid, taped the forward end of the pattern to the smooth (no connectors) edge of the narrow end, centering it on the middle of the tile which was towards the center of the tiles. I wanted the installation to look symmetrical, since the tiles have horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines. I cut along the pattern on the side and bottom, then used the cut-off pieces to add to the other side. I started at the forward end, which required the widest cut-offs, using the tile that had just a corner cut off (at the aft corner), then I used the aft tile that was next to it, cutting off the round loops with my multi-master, then proceeded to install the rest of the tile pieces, choosing the ones that fit the pattern best. Then I cut the rest of the pattern out, including the centerboard cut-out, and installed it. It took a few snips here and there to make sure that it fit properly around the centerboard fitting, but I'm happy with how it turned out. I have ordered some matching (almond colored) starboard to put along the edges to make it look finished and keep it from curling.

Now, I have 4 whole tiles left, which I think I will put in the cockpit lockers to protect the surfaces.

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

suznhenz

I just got Purrfect in the water today, but she is sitting on our dock with the mast down and needing a good cleaning. As soon as we get the rigging up (probably Sunday) and I get her cleaned up, I will take some pictures. I don't have the starboard for the edging yet, but hopefully it will be here soon.

Sue

Tom Ray

You can also cut the tiles with good tin snips. Quick and clean.