a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mystery bolt found in cockpit. SOLVED!!

Started by Peter Dubé, December 10, 2015, 02:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Dubé

Today while out sailing, I found this bolt / screw laying on the cockpit seat. Oh oh...  I can't determine where it came from. It looks like a number 8, one inch long, flat Phillips head.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

hoddinr

Check the traveller bumper ends port or starboard.  They are held in with a hex bolt on my SunCat, but they might be a large screw on yours.
On the other hand, you might have stern led main sheet, and might not even HAVE a traveller! 

Just a thought.

Ron

Peter Dubé

Hi Ron,

Nope, it's not the traveler. The traveler ends are intact. The bolt itself seems to be about blackish color.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Craig

Could be from a piece of deck hardware/fitting.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Peter Dubé

Well, this is a real mystery. I have checked most Everything pretty thoroughly, and I can't find anything missing. I'm baffled!

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Tom L.

Maybe it fell out of your pocket. I know everybody I know thinks I have a screw loose. I'm not saying you have a screw loose just conveying my experience. Hahahaha

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Peter Dubé

Tom L.,

I think you may be onto something. Ever since that screw appeared my friends are saying that I am much 'more sane....
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Tom L.

Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Peter Dubé

Found where the bolt was from!!!

I was looking around the cockpit at  screws. And saw the screws in the traveler were very similar. That's when I noticed that I was missing a screw from the main sheet cleat.  There are two machine screws that hold the Cam cleats together. One was missing   

Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

hoddinr

That's it for sure!  Good news finding it.  I knew it would bug you until you figured it out.

Ron

Bob23

Ahhh...so you did have a screw loose! Maybe use Loctite?

Peter Dubé

Yes, I should use some thread locker on it.  Then again, it took 10 years to come loose.  I have 10 years now ....
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL