a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Propane grill

Started by Catawampus, December 08, 2015, 02:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catawampus

I have a yamaha 4 stroke 4 hp outboard on the raise and lower motor bracket to the port side of the rudder with a fuel line into the gas tank locker through the stern drain connected to a new ventless 3 gallon gas tank.
I also have a magma propane kettle grill with a bracket extension so that I can clamp it near the base of the starboard boom cradle support pole and use the grill over the water off the starboard side of the cockpit.
I haven't used the grill yet because I am concerned about the possibility of a gasoline fire.  My outboard and it's fuel connections seem to be sound. There is no smell of gasoline fumes with the engine running or off.
Do any of you Sun Cat sailors use a propane grill at anchor? Do you mount to the boom cradle support?
Thanks in advance for your experience and advice.

Tom L.

I haven't on my Sun Cat but I have used Magna grills on other outboard powered sail boats. Usually I mounted to the stern pulpit opposite side of the O.B. mount. Just be certain your OB, it's hose and tank are in good order. Use the sniff test everytime before you fire up the grill.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

Catawampus,

Would like to get a grill.  I miss grilling at anchor. But I wonder about storing it when not in use.  Does it fit in the cockpit locker?  I recall about 11 inches of width.  Is that about right?

Ron

Catawampus

Thanks Ron!  I hadn't thought about whether or not it would fit in a cockpit locker.  Looks like it will.  I think 11 inches is about right for the short side opening of the cockpit locker.  I just measured my ancient playmate cooler and it is 11 inches wide and I know I can just get it to squeeze into a cockpit locker.  The top to bottom measurement of the Magma propane grill with bracket and propane cylinder removed is 10 inches.  This should work.
Thanks again,
Steve

P.S. My grill is the A10-207 model

Tom L.

I haven't used it yet but in my past small boat days we made a mount to the rail that had an aluminum cookie sheet that was attached to a wooden board (3/4" x 2.5") that had a rail clamp. I intend to clamp it to the gallows upright. It will extend out over the water on the side opposite of the motor. The cookie sheet is mounted to the board using square aluminum tube that acts as a heat sink to keep the wood cool. We will use those one shot disposable grills. When finished the next morning when everything cools down, dump the ash and toss the grill parts into the garbage. No mess no storage problem. Works for us because we would only grill out a few times a year.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Catawampus

Tom,
Sounds like it will work just fine.  Should have talked to you before I put the Magma on my Christmas List last year.

waterwheels

Have the Magma propane on my Eclipse and love it. We also got the no-stick griddle and used it for bacon and eggs. The best part is cooking outside makes the boat feel three feet longer;)
I take it apart, clean and store after each use unless we are anchored over night and are using it for breakfast. It just fits in the port locker.
Don
"Living Water"

frank

Used a rod holder mount on my Suncat Jubillee.....works well
Yep.....on the opposite side from the outboard
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Catawampus

Thanks for the responses. Based on the pictures from Frank & Waterwheels, I'm thinking my grill mounting plans will be fine. Will keep a fire extinguisher in reach just in case.

Bob23

Hey waterwheels: Thanks for making us northerners jealous with that photo of the beautiful green water. Nice!!!!!
Bob23

waterwheels

Bob, Believe it or not that picture was taken in a little bay just north of Kincardine, Ontario Canada...

Catawampus

Kincardine!  Sounds Irish.  No wonder the water is beautifully green!

Tom L.

Kincardine is a really cool place. A sole bag piper plays at sunset from the top of the lighthouse which is within the marina complex. Puts chills down your spine. It's a popular cruising destination south of the Bruce peninsula when returning from the north Channel. It's probably very cold there now.

Tom L.

waterwheels

Tom,

Thank you for the reminder of how blessed I am. My wife and I go out for sunset cruises on summer nights, anchoring just off the beach and listen to the piper play as the sun goes down, then make our way back to the slip before it gets too dark to see. It is a great way to end the day. Some nights it is just too nice out to go home so we sleep on the boat.
Here is a picture of the lighthouse from our slip.
The other building in the picture is the newly renovated Inn at the Harbour. http://www.innattheharbour.com
Any compact-tors ever up this way please drop me a post before you come and we will attempt to show some northern hospitality.

PS sorry for steeling the topic of the post......the Kincardine Harbour has BBQ's and picnic shelter for boater to use while at the slip, but having one available on the boat for calm days is the best:)

Don
"Living Water"