News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

AQUA SIGNAL Series 25 masthead light mystery--FIXED!

Started by suznhenz, December 02, 2015, 06:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suznhenz

Hi all- I replaced my defective fuse/circuit switch board and re-connected all the circuits. The cabin light and the running lights work, but the masthead light doesn't. I've replaced the bulb and checked the power at the connector at the mast hinge and there's power there. I checked the power at the fixture itself (it has thin copper strips with a bump on each that fit into the light) and I get current at the copper strips, but I need to sort of scratch the surface with the voltmeter probes. So, I cleaned off the "bumps" with emery cloth, thinking that corrosion made the connection bad, but still no light. I may need to clean around the bumps more, because they are there to retain the bulb in its position, and may not have much of a connection to conduct electricity. It's dark now and mosquitoes are out, so I've stopped work for the night, but any ideas? I tried both of the new light bulbs in the package, in case one was defective, but they both tested to have continuity with the multimeter. I didn't check it out, but it did seem like the voltage may have been a little lower than 12 volts at the fixture. At the time I just looked to see if the needle jumped, which it did.

Sue

NateD

I had a very similar problem, and wrote about it (including solution) here: http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=2495.msg

In my case I was getting 12 volts with a multi-meter wherever I tested, but it wouldn't light up a light bulb. Turned out that there was corrosion in the deck connector that was limiting the amps that could make it through. It wasn't in the exposed male-female parts of the connectors, I had to take the connectors apart and see how the wire was attached to the connector if that makes any sense. Other people had other suggestions that might be the solution to your problem if you can't find a corroded connections somewhere.

Wanna trade? You can have my 30 degrees and snowing and I'll take your mosquitoes.

suznhenz

FIXED!! You were right Nate - it was corrosion in a connector. In this case, the connector at the mast hinge. I was going to sand it off yesterday, but darkness and mosquitoes (or no-see-ums) drove me off, so I did it today and I have a working masthead light.  I don't have an anchor light installed on the boat, which is apparently not a requirement on any boats under 7 meters (or any lights, for that matter), but I don't wish to have someone out partying in his power boat run into my boat if I'm anchored out at a local island for the night. So, I'm thinking of just getting a battery operated lantern and suspending it a few feet above the boom with the main halyard, with a down-haul rope fastened to keep it from flying around. Some members of our boat club have been cited recently for not displaying the black ball day marker while anchoring, but again boats under 7 meters don't have to bother with that. Will not flying the upside down black triangle while motor sailing be next? Hopefully local Coast Guard patrols know that part of the regulation.

Tom L.

We use a very inexpensive lantern that we hoist just above the boom for an anchor light. It uses LED bulbs and is very bright. Nearly all our portable electrical stuff like flash lights, GPS and small lamps in the cabin use AA batteries, so we just leave a supply on board. So easy. For the main power we got rid of the monster wet cell and opted for a jump starter. $39.00 bucks at Harbor Freight basically it is a battery with a built in charger. Once a month I carry it off the boat, maybe 15 pounds, and plug it in to recharge. Easy peasy. It is used to power the sounder, nav lights plus one cabin lamp and a 12 volt plug.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

NateD

Glad you fixed it, mine drove me nuts for a couple months before I figured it out.

On my current CP16 I use a LED lantern hung from the boom for the anchor light, runs on AA batteries. I prefer masthead anchor lights since it is always with you (forgot my lantern one night this year), runs off a rechargeable battery, keeps the bugs up high instead of in the cockpit, and I don't have to worry about running out of batteries in the middle of the night. However, a cockpit level light helps make the boat standout to anyone motoring around the anchorage in the dark; those anchor lights way up in the air can be missed at close range. So there are pluses and minuses on both sides.

For me it isn't about meeting the regulation, it's about my safety. An off-the-shelf LED lantern isn't going to be Coast Guard certified, and might not meet the 2 mile visibility rule, but it is going to take the odds of being run-over in the middle of the night down substantially.

suznhenz

Nate- I was planning on getting a Davis Utility Low Current Mega-Light that plugs into a 12v outlet, which I plan to install in the cockpit. Probably will have a battery operated one in addition for a back-up. I think I am ready to finally put Purrfect in the water - just finished the final adjustments to the boat lift supports (hopefully my calculations, based on measurements from the trailer are close to correct!)  Now I just have to learn how to sail a gaff-rigged boat and not look foolish! The weather has been so beautiful recently - hope it stays like this. Since, as a boat under 7 meters, we aren't required to display any lights, what ever lights I put up will be better than nothing, and should help to keep another boat from hitting us in the dark. I really don't like the regular anchor lights on sailboats- more than once, taking the dinghy back to my boat on a moonless light, I found myself coming too close to a boat with an anchor light on that I really didn't see because it blended in with the stars. There should be something more at a working level that another boater can easily see and identify.

Tom L.

Suzn, I use to use the Davis lights back when they were a bargain. Now they are really expensive for what you get and not nearly as bright as the inexpensive lanterns that use LEDS. I think I got mine at Walmart and the AA batteries last many nights. When lowered they flood the cockpit with light also.

I am sure you have read some of the comments about sailing the Sun Cat but a very important practice is to be sure not to over sheet. Boom just outside the rear corner is the best practice when close hauled. They are not like a sloop and can be over sheet will be slow. Another issue is raising the throat and peak at about the same rate. Because the peak is 2:1 it gets behind the throat and for me I had the peak sometimes pointing straight down before I knew it. The reverse happens when lowering. The throat comes down really fast and the peak may end pointing nearly straight up. Then it is hard to get the peak to lower because there is no weight on the peak boom when it is pointing nearly straight up. I have had to go forward and push the peak boom horizontal.

Good luck and you will love this boat when you get the hang of it.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat