a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spinnaker Crane Addition

Started by CurtTampa, November 19, 2015, 07:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtTampa

Decided to try and improve the spinnaker halyard configuration after pulling the mast head apart. The Isomat mast has the ability to have up to six internal halyards in case you were wondering. My boat has two - Main and jib. The stock Isofurl furler didn't need the jib halyard after the sail was raised apparently. The new Furlex furler requires a dedicated halyard. The jib halyard travels out over the forward sheeve and across a small roller. After inspection it was noted the roller didn't turn freely and was actually frozen. The delrin rollers had a groove worn into one side confirmining they were stuck. This in turn created friction on the halyard at the exit point. The line was just about 2/3 of the way breaking. Found a company Seaco South Inc. in St Pete Florida that has Isomat parts. Sheeves, exit plate, and misc boom fittings. ended up buying a spinnaker crane that adds the ability to have two external halyards. While I do plan on using one of them for the asymertical spinnaker they might get more use for my foredeck hammock sanctuary . :)

[/URL]

CurtTampa

Here is the parts diagram for the Isomat masthead. The arrow indicates the rollers that are chafe points once frozen.

[/URL]

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

wes

Curt - what year is your boat? My 1988 does not have the Isomat mast; mine is by Johnson (from Kenyon extrusion, per Gerry at Hutchins) with external halyards. Always interested in the various permutations over the years.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

CurtTampa

It's an 1989. Has internal halyards and two chases for electrical wires.