a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Installing Tohatsu Sailpro

Started by suznhenz, November 17, 2015, 10:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suznhenz

Hi- I'm just about ready to finally get Purrfect in the water - just have to put the new fittings on the boat lift (now that the power boat is finally off of it), then it will be time to launch. However, I have a Tohatsu Sailpro, which I bought used and didn't come with an owner's manual. Tohatsu's website has manuals, but nothing specifically for the Sailpro and its alternator. So, right now I have a cable that runs from the battery switch in the bow to the gas can compartment, which I assume came with the boat (it is marine grade cable) for the 9 HP Honda which came with the boat and which I thought was way too heavy and sold. However, there are no battery connectors or anything on the end of the wires at the stern. There is a also a LONG black and red battery cable in a locker in the cabin- I suspect it came with the Honda, but not sure. Is there a connection bus, or something like that, which I should mount in that area to connect the alternator to this cable Also, what route should I use to run the gas line from the tank area to the motor, and also the wire from the motor to the cable to the battery? I guess my other concern is making sure that the polarity of the alternator is correct, in relation to the battery.

Thanks again,

Sue

hoddinr

I think I would take the boat and motor to the Tohatsu dealer and let him sort it out.

Ron

nicktulloh

There's a couple of youtube videos - don't know if they would help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz9twIavDI8

Quote from: suznhenz on November 17, 2015, 10:09:43 AM
Hi- I'm just about ready to finally get Purrfect in the water - just have to put the new fittings on the boat lift (now that the power boat is finally off of it), then it will be time to launch. However, I have a Tohatsu Sailpro, which I bought used and didn't come with an owner's manual. Tohatsu's website has manuals, but nothing specifically for the Sailpro and its alternator. So, right now I have a cable that runs from the battery switch in the bow to the gas can compartment, which I assume came with the boat (it is marine grade cable) for the 9 HP Honda which came with the boat and which I thought was way too heavy and sold. However, there are no battery connectors or anything on the end of the wires at the stern. There is a also a LONG black and red battery cable in a locker in the cabin- I suspect it came with the Honda, but not sure. Is there a connection bus, or something like that, which I should mount in that area to connect the alternator to this cable Also, what route should I use to run the gas line from the tank area to the motor, and also the wire from the motor to the cable to the battery? I guess my other concern is making sure that the polarity of the alternator is correct, in relation to the battery.

Thanks again,

Sue

waterwheels

Sue, I would have to agree with Ron. Don't mess with this if you are not sure what you are doing. When I read things like wires running through the fuel compartment I think it is time to have it looked at by a marine professional. A few dollars to have it done right could save the investment of the entire boat should something be installed incorrectly and give problems later.

Don