a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cockpit Cushion for Com-Pac 16

Started by Decatur, October 21, 2015, 08:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decatur

Inquiring about cockpit cushions for a Com-Pac 16.  I have an old tokus and want something soft to sit my butt on!   I've read several of the older posts on cushions and was just wondering if someone out there has purchase them recently (within two years) who they ordered them from and if they were happy with them?  Any information would be appreciated.  I'm open to any and all suggestions and advice.  I am open to making them myself, or going to an upholsterer and having them made!  Simple but Good, is best for me!    Regards!  Tim Goddard, Warrensburg, Il

nreamer

We bought two of these.  www.sportaseat.com More comfortable than my recliner!  Cushions are good for your butt, but raise you higher which makes what little back support there is from the cockpit coaming less effective.  At the end of the day, you can either toss them into the cabin, or store them elsewhere as they are super portable and even have a carry handle. 

Made in USA, and customer service is incredible.  I think the couple who started the company made them first for sailing / boating, and have branched out into other recreational activities to attempt to broaden the market.  They are pricey, but worth every penny, IMHO.

neil
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Citroen/Dave

I use square life cushions for the deck cushions occasionally including one for a back rest if sailing is not demanding.  Two cushions store above my portapot under the bridge deck with the third making a below-deck back rest for sitting comfort.

With the addition of two wood strips screwed below the top elevation of the bench seats I can place four thin plywood rectangles and three square cushions over the foot well to make a double bed under the boom tent. I move the bunk mattresses to either side of the cushions.  I have added back packer's thin closed cell mattresses under the bunk mattresses which also move to the deck benches at night for additional comfort.  These are short only supporting the head to hips so they don't take up clearances under the deck benches.   Adjust the heights of the wood strips so the support of the cushions and the mattresses make a uniform support, not necessarily a uniform height.

The four plywood rectangles store under the bunk mattresses in the cabin sitting area.   While camping under the boom tent, stored items are placed in plastic bins with lids under the three-cushion center of the bed.  If weather changes during the night, we grab the mattresses and bunk cushions and retreat below deck. Stored items in the foot well are waterproof, and the bunks are empty of stuff.

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/CitroenDave/library/Compac%2016%201?sort=3&page=1
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

suznhenz

I just got cockpit cushions from Ameriseam in Tampa and am VERY pleased with the quality! It was a 4 piece set, covered with Sunsure (like Phifertex, but a slightly tighter weave), with Sunbrella piping for $810. According to their website, cockpit cushions for a Compac 16 is about $509. I am local, so I didn't have to pay shipping - not sure how much that would be if you aren't in the area. The cushions had 2" closed cell foam. Their website is www.ameriseam.net. I also got a sail cover and bimini and was very satisfied with both the price and the quality.

Decatur

I'm so glade you are happy with your cockpit cushions.  WoW!....They seem a bit pricey to me!   But, what does not cost lots of money these days.    I plan to purchase mine in early Spring of 2016.  I will go with your recommendation on manufacture.  Thanks so much!
Tim Goddard, Warrensburg, Il

P.S.  Just read a very interesting article on human burial at sea.  Sound like and great way to go!   

HeaveToo

I had cockpit cushions for my last boat.  They sat in storage most of the time and I only used them a few times. 

I have a two of these:  http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--go-anywhere-seat-2--10385656

They are perfect and work great.  They are comfortable to boot!

It is a cheaper and smarter solution.  You can also take them with you if/when you change boats.  Mine was on my Catalina 30 and I now use them on the Compac 23.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Bob23

Heave:
   I have the Sport-a-Seat, which the West Marine is designed after. I love the seat but find it a bit big on my 23 when I have others aboard. When solo however, which is most of the time, it is super comfortable and I like to angle the seat to about 45 degrees. I find it eliminates that twist that my back does when looking forward but sitting abeam. A great invention.
Bob23

brackish

I had cockpit cushions for my last boat.  They sat in storage most of the time and I only used them a few times.

Me too, they stay in a storage room at the house almost all the time.  I tried leaving them in the cockpit but dirt, slime, and mildew built up underneath them.  They didn't fit in the cabin very well for storage and were always in the way.

I have a two of these:  http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--go-anywhere-seat-2--10385656

Me too, although the price has gone up significantly, bought mine on sale for $59 each.  But I really like them, they store easily in the cabin when not in use, and I like being able to use them anywhere on the boat and to take them ashore and use them.  The Admiral and I like to put them on the foredeck at anchor while watching a sunset or a full moon with a glass of wine.  And Bob is right about getting a more comfortable angle and saving the back and neck from strain, they really help.

JBC

I use 4 Igloo ice chest seat cushions from West Marine.  Two are 54 gal size and two are 72 gallon size.  Two of these, one of each size, just about cover the length of a cockpit seat on a 16 and are about the right width (the smaller size is a smaller width) to fit the cockpit benches which vary in width from stern forward.  All four can easily be tossed in the cabin for storage.  You can use Velcro to tack cushions to the benches if desired, though I didn't think this worked all that well when I tried it.

Works great to sit on, but two drawbacks: Forget the straps with snaps that come on the cushions...they are useless (will not snap two cushions together, for example) so I cut them off.  And, they won't do anything special for your back, even though your butt will be more comfy.

Jett

Bob23

My only complaint with the Sport-a-seat is that both the bottom and the back are the same size which makes the bottom a bit too long. It makes the front edge of the bottom stick into the cockpit a little. I'm sure this is no problem on the beach or elsewhere but on a small boat, it's a minor issue. Maybe the newer generation seats have addressed this. I bought mine at the Annapolis show a few years ago and they had a deal on them. It's nice to be able to match Sunbrella colors, too because, as any fashion minded sailor will tell you, color coordination is sooooo important.
Bob23

frank

thats right Bob.......colors have to "flow"

it's all about estetics :-)  :-)
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Craig

Have had Compac factory cushions on the Suncat and the Horizon Cat. Both stored in cabin and used every time we sail. Would never leave in cockpit! Slime and crud and algae! Oh My! Not cheap but excellent quality. They fit perfectly and provide a secure base in the cockpit with no slippage. Cushions(of some sort) are essential unless one likes having a stiff butt out there! ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

alsantini

My two cents worth.  I have had cushions on all of my previous boats and was disappointed that my PO did not have them for the Eclipse that I bought from him.  However it was a good price and I figured that I would buy a custom set anyway.  I went to Trailersailor.com and found:  http://shop.sailboatowners.com/cu/detail-tmpl.php?a=2&pid=53944&sb=Compac  A friend with a Precision had used cushions from the source so I bit the bullet.  Not cheap ($496.95) but amazingly worth the price.  They fit exactly, shed water, are very comfortable even for an all day sail.  I would recommend them without hesitation.
Only discussion we had was over the color.  I wanted crème to match the hull, the Admiral wanted blue to match the sail cover and bimini.  After extensive discussion I invoked the Captain decision process and ordered the blue (hmm - that did not work well, LOL).  Well they look great but in deep sun get pretty hot.  I wind up using the bimini more.  I store the cushions in the cabin when not on the boat and after 2 summers 1 winter of extensive sailing they look exactly like they did out of the shipping box.  The older I get the more I appreciate good cushions under my butt....  and these are good cushions.