a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

bitterend attachment

Started by thedavo, September 24, 2006, 07:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedavo

I took a look in my anchor locker and noticed that there was no attachment point for the bitterend to the anchor line. Is that the way it is with yours? What are you doing about it? Tying a monkey's fist in the end of the anchor line? Dave.

dusty

the bitter end should be tied to something that floats, like and empty bleach bottle, unless you like putting pools in the backyards of the west marine corporate guys, then you could buy a bouey

spaul

Well Davo that's a good question. On the 27 there is no place to tie the bitter end actually. I think the Monkey's fist is a good idea, or perhaps a block of wood. As you know the standard Hawes pipe on the 27 is small enough that anything large enough to float won't go through nor will it go through the bowsprit.
I'm lucky enough that where we sail the water isn't deep enough to worry about this and besides when anchoring I always cleat my anchor line anyway. So I think my answer is make a monkey's fist, or tie the bitter end around a small dowel or block to prevent it from pulling through the hull. I think we'd appreciate more ideas or things others have done too.

Steve cp27/2
IM PAUL SIVE

dusty

well, let me state it like this, then:

tie the bitter end to something that floats, like an empty bleach bottle.

thedavo

Actually Dusty, the whole plan here was to keep the bitterend under the deck rather than have it on deck. On quite a few boats that I have been on, there would be some sort of attachment point that prevented the loss of the anchor and line. I thought maybe my boat was an oddball and the factory was remiss in supplying just such an attachment. I feel a little better knowing that is not the case, just an oversight in production. Oh well guess I will tie a monkeys fist in the end and mark the line to gvie me a warning when I am nearing the end. Dave.

spaul

TheDAVO,
I was thinking this through and have an idea for you to look over. When I purchased my boat I had a float on trailor made and Mike Oro at Triad Trailers suggested I replace the Lower Bob Stay Bolt with an eye bolt. I reinforced the block behind the hull and just put several stainless washers and a nice large nut back there. I believe I'll open the locker and get the bolt size and purchase an eye to screw on inside the locker. This will give me (and you) somewhere to attach the " bitter end". What do you think?
I know Dusty has the right idea he may not realize we're talking about an anchor locker with a 3" hole in the deck and then a bowsprit with an anchor roller and a retainer bail to go through. We appreciate you hanging in there Dusty, don't go away we enjoy your posts.
It also occurred to me one could purchase some large diameter shock cord and tie that in there to prevent a strong shock on the bob stay bolt. Or some other shock system might be called for there.
Let me know your thoughts.
Steve
cp27/2

thedavo

Steve, what outstanding suggestions!! I think the one about reversing an eyebolt for the spritstay (whatever it may be called) is one that really sounds good. I rather it be anchored like that than have something come up and hit the underside of the deck like the monkeyfist plan. This saturday I am going to go down to the boat and kick your ideas around some more. Thanks a bunch!! Dave.

spaul

Davo,
It's a pleasure to help. I have a float on trailer and needed something to just guide the boat and pull it lightly. That's why I changed the bottom boat for the bobstay to a single eye bolt. There is one made of stainless that works great and is quite long enough to add an eye or attachment on the inside. That way if you need to attach a line to the lower bow you've got a spot. I've gotta believe there is a screw on eye somewhere in your hardware or marine store. Other wise make a tang or something with an eye on it.
It's easy for me since I'm retired and bored stiff. If I find a worthy job you guys will have to make this stuff up on your own :) but I'll still be posting good and bad stuff like always.

Steve Paul
cp27/2