a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

AutoPilot for Eclipse

Started by Skip_956, September 22, 2006, 05:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skip_956

Want to put an AutoPilot on my Eclipse.  Any suggestions as to which one works best and what the installation process is.

Skip

TR2020

Skip..

I have a Raymarine ST 1000+ and have had no problems.  I have heard of others having trouble with this unit... sometimes due to gearing failure.  I would look at the ST 2000+ (I think this is the right name) as it has a quicker response time and supposedly more reliable gearing.  There is really no simple way to mount the pilot. I fashioned a homemade mount and attached it to the starboard inspection plate. This seems to work sufficiently but I am looking to improve the setup with something more substantial.  One problem that needs to be worked out is where to place the unit when temporarily not in use.  When you want to take the tiller yourself for a few minutes you lift the pilot shaft off the pin and you need a way to secure the pilot until you need it again.  I am considering a velcro tab glued to the cockpit seat and the other piece glued to the underside of the tiller. 

Keep in mind that you may want to integrate the pilot with your GPS.

Tim   

Skip_956

What did you order with your AutoPilot to use for insalling on the Eclipse.  When I went on WestMarine they have so many different ways to attach it I got a little confused.   Thanks for responding.

Skip

TR2020

Skip...

I did not order any mounts with my tiller pilot... instead I fashioned a wooden mount and attached it to the starboard inspection plate.  There is a picture of this homemade mount in the Eclipse photo section.  Hey... it works pretty well...   but I am thinking about replacing it with something a little more beefy.  Below is a link to the owner's manual...  on page 39 you will see instructions for the pedestal mount...   I am thinking this would be best for the Eclipse.

http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/SubmittedFiles/Handbooks/Autopilots/ST1000Plus&2000PlusTillerPilot.pdf

I would install it on the starboard side..  leaving the port side open for access to the ladder.

There may be newer and better tiller pilots than the Raymarine...  I would surely do an extensive search before spending $$$.  I wish there were more activity on this forum....   there are many Eclipse owners by now.. and they could give us some good suggestions.

I just recently re-read AT's post "Dry Tortugas Voyage".... 

What a great trip...  I would love to try it someday.

Tim

spaul

Tim,
I too wish there were more posts on this forum, it is full of wonderful people who are smarter than your average bear. I've read many reports of the Dry Tortugas trips and they sound truly great. Someday I plan to do that myself. We wintered on Grassy Key this past Christmas and all I could think about was headng West.
Raymarine has upgraded all of their auto pilots and it appears they are keeping up with the competition. I have the 4000+ wheel version on my cp27 and it works extremely well.

Steve Paul
cp27/2

spaul

TR2020,
In regards to  your wish for more activity on this forum, there is another com pac forum that is much more active on a daily basis. There is more chatter there, not unlike a ham fest which is fine but I like this forum a little better.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-pac/

Is the link, enjoy.

Steve Paul
cp27/2

Skip_956

I have checked that site out and it is a little hard to follow because you aren't always sure which model they are referring to.  I too hope we can get some more activity on this site so we can share ideas and adventures.

spaul

Hi Skip, I was working the other forum when capt Kirk decided to work his butt off and start this forum. There were reasons for this forum but the first users were drifters from the other forum. There is nothing wrong over there and the folks are great, but you're right it's hard to follow by boat size unless you work the forum constantly.
This format is much easier for me and then sometimes on the other forum it seemed a little like one or two people were sort of hogging things. Although I must say there is a ton of knowlege and experience over there. Great people just like here. I think it's that time of year when people are too busy to spend time here, let the weather worsen with late Fall and Winter and there will be much more activity here.
Captain K deserves all the credit for starting this but there are others here who keep it going now and they are selfless and interested in helping others. Hats off to you all.
Steve