a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The dreaded anchor thread

Started by Tney88, September 25, 2015, 11:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tney88

At the risk of starting the dreaded anchor thread that is greatly feared on other forums, what are folks carrying for their anchors?  We have a 22 lb Bruce/Claw type anchor as our primary, and a 15 lb Danforth as a secondary.  During our two week sojourn in the San Juan and Gulf Islands of Washington and British Columbia we had issues with the claw not setting at all in grassy bottoms, and dragging in muddy bottoms.  The Danforth did somewhat better, but I think both of them are too small for a 6000 lb boat.  I've been looking at upgrading to a newer generation anchor such as a Manson Supreme, Mantus, or Rocna, probably in the 33-35 lb range.  I'd like to hear any feedback on specific anchors, both good and bad.

Terry Ney
CP 27 "Paradiso"
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

relamb

I use a similar setup, although I'm not sure how much my Bruce weighs.  I've had no problems in storms, but I anchor mostly in sand.
I have 30 feet of chain on each anchor and 200' of line.  My line is marked, I usually count the scope from the line/chain junction, so I'm not counting the 30' of chain in the scope.  I used the fortress danforth type on previous boats, but have not used that anchor yet on the CP27.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Patrick

We have a Delta FastSet 22 lb. primary anchor the previous owner provided.   It has worked well so far although we haven't been in very rough anchoring conditions.  The boat is pretty light though and this anchor is for 34-40' sailboats.  Its light yet powerful.  My only issue is that I have 30' of chain.  I'd like to get more chain to allow for shorter scope.
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

deisher6

Hey Terry:
Like realamb I anchor in mud or sand.  From 1986-1990 we used a 22 lb Bruce with 20 ft of chain on a 150 ft rode.  It held us every time except in Swansboro where there is a fair tidal current.  I saved the anchor and have used it again on our current '86 C-27.  However our boat came with 240 ft of chain and a CQR plow.  The chain alone was more than I could lift and would by itself probably serve as a good anchor by itself .  The PO also installed a Quick winch, so I have put the Bruce with chain and rode in the cockpit locker and now use the CQR with 120 ft of chain.  So far that has been good.  Once again for mud and sand.  I have not been back to Swansboro and have not anchored in unsheltered waters.

I would not pay for a winch, especially one that is set up for chain only, but will FREELY admit using a winch is much better than pulling up the anchor by hand.

regards charlie

Mike

Terry, I have a 19 in Southern Oregon looking for some water close to home.  Assume you sail at Fern Ridge when not in the San Juan Islands.  Have you sailed anywhere on the Oregon Coast, the lakes down here are pretty dry this year.

Tney88

Hi, Mike,

Yes, we sail at Fern Ridge from April 1 when the county opens the marinas until mid August, then pull out to prep for the annual trek to the Salish Sea.  I haven't sailed on the Oregon Coast with the CP, only with other boats that were more off-shore capable.  I have also sailed at Tenmile Lake (between North Bend and Reedsport) with my Windrose 18, that was a nice spot although it had a lot of arms, not a big open area like Fern Ridge.  I know both Coos Bay and Winchester Bay have a lot of nice area for sailing without crossing the bar and going out to the BIG water.  The two lakes that still have decent water here in Lane County are Triangle Lake and Dexter Reservoir, you might consider trying one or the other of them.  I'd like to see your CP19 sometime.

Terry
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Mike

And I would like see the 27....used to rent boats in the San Juans every year for a week.  I am intrigued by the Coos Bay idea, have sailed at Fern Ridge a number of times, will check out the resevoirs you have mentioned.  Down here, Lost Creek and Lake of the Woods are the only options right now and Lost Creek is very low.

Tney88

You could go over the hill to Klamath Lake...just remember to take the bug spray.  If you get up this way, let me know and maybe we'll join you with the Windrose 18.  I live and work in Veneta.

Terry
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Tney88

Well, after much research, we've settled on a Rocna Vulcan 12 (27 lb) for our primary, to be kept on the bowsprit roller.  Backing it up will be a Fortress FX-23 (15 lb) for a spare, to be carried in the lazarette.  We'll post after next season how this plan works out for us. 

Terry Ney
CP-27 "Paradiso"
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

CurtTampa

Anchor threads are always fun! I have to admit my current anchor inventory looks like a shelf at West Marine. The PO had some sort of anchor fetish: #22 pound Bruce, large and medium Fortress, and some giant claw shaped thing that looks like it came off a farm implement. That one alone takes up over half the lazerette.  There is also an old style fishermans anchor. Knowing I had to toss at least most of them I went about evluating the merits of each. My experience in other boats was limited to a CQR and a Bruce. I remember the Bruce only dragging at the exact most inopportune times. I found countless youtube and articles on the merits of the Rocna anchor. Getting sucked in by the slick video and test results and with the the aide of a 50.00 coupon from WestMarine - I bit the bullet. Rocna 10. Weighs in at a hefty #22.  I think I'll keep both size Fortress's. Small one for a lunch hook or kedge and the second made up as a backup to the Rocna.[/URL]

Mike

I have had good luck with a fishermans folding anchor for weedy mud in my smaller boat (Drascombe Lugger)... and the same result in a friend's 23' centerboarder with same bottom condition.

Duckie

I have the smallest rocna and can testify that it works as advertised.  It is a very satisfying feeling to let out the rode and then give it a tug and feel that anchor digging in.  I sleep pretty well after that.

Al

cw021382

On my 23 I use a mantis 25 with 30' 5/16 ht and 300 5/8 or 1/2 rode can't remember exactly.  I have been happy with it so far.  I chose it over Rocna  because I got a great deal on it.  I have a 30lb sascot backup as well as a small Danforth. 

-Chris