Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Keeping warm in the fall

Started by MOlson, September 16, 2015, 09:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOlson

Hey everyone,

I sail out of Westerly, RI and Point Judith and love sailing in the fall. Now with my CP 19/3 I'm looking forward to some overnighters: Long Island, Block Island, Newport etc.
I'd love suggestions for keeping the cabin warm at night....not 100 degrees...but 65 or so would be terrific.

Thanks,
Mark O

MKBLK

Hi Mark,

I'm no expert, but I kept nice and cozy in an igloo I built in my front yard by burning a candle! I would think that a votive candle in an appropriate enclosure would keep the chill off 'till you fall asleep. If one isn't enough, light up another. Of course if nature calls at 3 am, you might prefer a larger candle! Get one in the large glass jar and don't forget to secure it. Remember to leave something open for oxygen. I do carry a candle (and fire extinguisher!) in Pegasus... just in case!

Marty K.
81 CP16 Pegasus

P.S. Labrador Retrievers are very good at keeping people warm!
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Elk River

Mark:

On another boat with an alcohol stove, we used to heat the cabin with a clay flowerpot placed upside down over a burner.  We didn't let it go all night as once the cabin is warm, one is all set until the morning when you can again heat the cabin with the burner/flowerpot arrangement.   We haven't done that yet with our 19/2, but will probably try if we are out in the cool some evening.

Elk River
Now the Mrs. Elk

NateD

If you do some searching you can find a number of threads on the topic:

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5585.0
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=7200.0
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5916.0

If you're at the dock, you can use an electric heater safely. Otherwise there is no *safe* and cheap solution. There are a few propane catalytic heaters with low oxygen sensors (like Mr. Buddy and ones mentioned in those threads), but letting them run while you're sleeping is very risky. You have to worry about oxygen depletion, carbon monoxide poisoning, propane leaks in the cabin, and moisture/condensation. If you want a combustion type heater that can be run all night, you're going to be spending some bucks. My strategy has always been to use a sleeping bag and/or blankets to keep warm while sleeping. During the morning or evening I'll turn on the (butane) stove to warm the cabin a bit. I would feel comfortable using a catalytic heater while I was awake (and not underway), but I have never felt the need.

Craig

Alchohol burner/flowerpot thing is the simplest solution that has been used by many sailors. Use caution but it does work.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

MKBLK

Harbour Freight has a 12v defroster/heater/light combo for ten bucks. I have one but haven't used it yet. I would think that it would take the chill off in a few minutes and you could easily turn it back on in the morning. If you're in a slip with electric... no problem. Let it run all night if you like. On battery power I'd be a bit frugal about how long I'd let it run. No worries about open flames.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

BruceW

That Harbor Freight gizmo might take a bit of chill off. In a review, one of the folks also mentioned a 12v electric blanket that might work. I might try the defroster for the car also.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Greene

Our Weems and Plath oil lantern always did the trick for us.  It can be hung or gimbal mounted for safe use.  Set it on a low flame and it runs forever.  Always took the dampness and chill out from our boats.

Mike and Brenda
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Bob23

Fire extinguishers and CO detectors are a must!!!! Not much point in enjoying sailing and waking up dead just because you wanted to keep toasty!!!

Greene

That is the Bob we love.  Belt, suspenders, rope, double undies, and a long tailed shirt.  Never can be too safe.  He he he!
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

MKBLK

BruceW - The Harbor Freight gizmo actually has a built-in handle for use as a defroster. Sure hope I never have to use it on Pegasus!

Marty K.

Bob23

Like Mike and Brenda, I have an oil lamp. It's amazing how warm a single little flame can make the boat. Mine is a dual wick thing...brought it back from Bermuda as a gift to my father in law. When he passed away, I stole it...er...recommisioned it for use aboard the mighty Koinonia. He would've approved.
Bob23

Shawn

If you are in a slip forget the 12v heater and pick up a $20-$30ish 120v heater. It will have dramatically more heat output and won't kill the battery. Pulling 13amps the 12v heater will drain down the battery pretty quickly.

That 12v heater is about 156 watts or 532 btus. The 120v is 1500w (on high) and about 5000btus. I just used one of these last weekend and while the outside was in the low 40s it was hot inside the Sabre and that was with the heat on low.

A candle is around 50btus. An oil lamp with a 1" wick is around 1000ish btus. An Alladin lamp is about 3500btus.  If you have an Origo they are around 7000btus. Setup a temporary vent out a porthole and they will heat you fast.  Do something similar with a stove pipe and a can of sterno and they are around 2500btu.

If you are really trying to keep warm overnight the lower the source of heat the better. Heater positioned higher up in a boat and it will heat from that level up. You will have a very noticeable temperature differential below the height of the heater.

Stay toasty!

Shawn

BruceW

very good info, Shawn, and thanks for weighing in. I have been okay with sleeping bag except for whatever part of me is not covered, haha, usually my face,an arm, or sometime I kick my feet out. Not sure how that all happens. Anyway, I can run my butane stove for a bit if at anchor, and I have a 120 heater I can use when at slip. In fact, I'm going to try that this weekend, with the overnight temp in the 40s.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Norm

In cold weather, at anchor, I always sleep with a hoodie on.  Keeps the head warm too.