Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Moisture meter choices

Started by Allure2sail, September 09, 2015, 08:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allure2sail

Hello All:
Looking to purchase a moisture meter for inspection of my next boats condition. Seems to be two or three choices ranging from the basic "electophysics" for $180 and an in between model to a "Tramex skipper plus for $375. Anyone out there have any experience with them or recommendations. It is time to move up and the search has begun....sad to see Allure go but I need more boat to cruise further.
Bruce

Tim Gardner

Bruce, search for inspectors store, they may have a used Tramex.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Allure2sail

Hi Tim:
Just checked, they had two moisture meters for home inspection use. I'll keep looking around.
Bruce

redfishnc

I bought the Electrophysics model CT33.  Analog version, much less than digital models.  Good reputation.  I have practiced on a number of boats and known suspect areas.  It paid for itself 1st boat I looked at except for the trip from NC to Ohio.  Buy the calibration plate if you go for this one.  Just under $200 including the cal plate.  Had it in 3 days.

Shawn

Bruce,

As another option to consider is something like the FLIR One Thermal Camera. Photograph the boat with it in the morning or evening (when the temperature is changing) and you can see moisture intrusion areas as well as repaired areas due to the differences in thermal mass in those places.

Check out these threads for some pictures of problem areas found using thermal imaging.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/some-recent-thermal-images-from-surveys-147741.html

Shawn

Tim Gardner

I use a Flir SD imaging camera on my thermal moisture surveys.  Works great, but some education in it's use is needed to interpret the results.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.