a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

wiring to battery from outboard alternator

Started by suznhenz, September 09, 2015, 05:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suznhenz

Hi all- me again. I went this morning to Hutchins to pick up new drop boards and a gooseneck casting for the gaff. (It is nice being less than 30 miles from the factory) I got the gooseneck installed pretty fast, then went below to check out the battery wiring situation, since the boat came with an 8hp Honda with electric start - it's a 2002, so it weighs around 80 lbs, and I do know that I should be going to a smaller, lighter motor, but hate to have to put out extra money right away. But, what really makes me scratch my head is that there are a pair (one red, one black) of long battery cables in the port lockers, but they aren't connected to anything, and I really don't see any way to neatly run the cable into the forward locker, where the battery is. There is some sort of hole in that forward locker, on the port side, but it seems to be blocked with foam. Also, I found two white (house wiring type, it looks like) wires in the starboard cockpit locker, one of which runs into the aft locker, where the gas can would be. It just ends - no fittings or anything. I believe the Hunda motor that came with the boat has a white electrical cable with no fitting at the end, which makes me wonder if perhaps the previous owner, looking to remove the motor, just cut the wire instead of disconnecting it from the motor? Don't you love the mysteries a used boat present?

Any suggestions, bits of wisdom or encouragement or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sue

capt_nemo

Dear Sue,

Sure wish you weren't 100+ miles away from me down here in SW Florida - it certainly would make things a lot easier. I'm a former Sun Cat Owner, retired, with lots (38 years) of sailboat experience, and the time to aid and assist! Five minutes on your boat and I could definitively answer your questions.

Battery cables found in port locker- real substantial battery cables? connected to nothing? If the battery in the forward locker is the only battery in the boat there should be fairly hefty battery cables (red & black) connecting the battery to the outboard to handle the starting current draw and replenishment charge when motoring. Are you sure the previous owner didn't use another battery for the outboard?

White wires in starboard locker - leading to gas can locker and cut? Could possibly have been connected to the outboard but they are too small a gauge in my opinion for the job.

Trace the wires, if connected, to see where they lead. Try a volt meter on the bare ends to see if they are connected to a battery.

Based on your description, here is what I believe happened. If the long battery cables are long enough to reach from the transom or port locker to the forward locker, the previous owner somehow connected the outboard to the forward battery through the portside hole in the forward locker not concerned with how the installation looked or was secured.

Therefore, you have three choices. First, do without the electric start until you get that small lightweight easy to start YAMAHA 4HP 4-stroke. Second, use a second battery close to the outboard with a short heavy battery cable run. Third, plan a nice properly installed longer battery cable run to the main battery located forward and proceed to make it happen!

Other than the obvious benefit of electric start, do not afford much importance to the charging capability of the outboard. We sailors do not usually run our outboards long enough to really benefit from the charging capability in an outboard.

Best wishes.

capt_nemo
Former Owner of Sun Cat "Frisky"

suznhenz

Thanks capt nemo! I went out into the heat again to see if I could come up with any new observations. The white cables are labeled "boat cable" 14/2 and one goes from the breaker panel to the light on the stern, and the other runs directly from the battery (not connected now, but has battery connections on that end) to the gas tank locker, where, I suspect, it was connected to the electrical cable from the Honda outboard. The cables in the port lockers are definitely heavy battery cables, and maybe came with the electrical package on the boat, but don't look like they were used. Now I just have to figure out if having an extra 20 lbs hanging on the stern of the boat (due to the 8 hp Honda) will cause enough of a performance problem that it will be worth the extra $500 or so to buy a new 4 - 6 hp motor (maybe a Tohatsu) after I sell the Honda. I'm taking the Honda to a machanic tomorrow to see if it is really functioning properly - that may make the decision for me.

Sue

capt_nemo

Well done.

Standing by for the next  progress report.

And, do remember to enjoy the process - it is all part of "the package".

capt_nemo